Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For new Ultegra SL housing, should I lube the cables & get some oil or grease in there, or leave empty as is?

I've always put some sort of lube on/in cable housing in the past (on other groups), like Pedro's SynLube or Phil Wood grease. But, this is new stuff and I'd like to start things off right.

Recommendations (and experience) welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Lubing slightly is fine just be careful what you use . One of the biggest things people forget to do though that causes problems later in shifting is not re rounding cut housing . After you cut it especially if you aren't using correct tools often times crushes the housing down .What you should do is take something like a very thick threading needle and re round the housing so the cables pass through nicely .
Another thing to watch for is not cutting your housing too short or way too long . If your re installing housing and cables,use your old as templates.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
curty42082 said:
Another thing to watch for is not cutting your housing too short or way too long . If your re installing housing and cables,use your old as templates.
True if it's been previously installed by somebody that has an eye for this, but cables are most new bikes are too long.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
The housing come out of the package pre-lubed.

After sliding a dry cable it will come out covered in lube.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I like to use just a quick squirt of Tri-flow at the open ends.

The housings that come pre-lubed are the inexpensive kind without the low friction liners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I probably should've mentioned the housing I'm talking about is the stock Shimano SLR housing that comes with Ultegra SL shifters. It's got the teflon liner and the cables supposedly come pre lubed with Shimano SP41 grease. I can actually smell a little grease on there and can feel it, but it's a very, very, very thin amount.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
parleenyc said:
I probably should've mentioned the housing I'm talking about is the stock Shimano SLR housing that comes with Ultegra SL shifters. It's got the teflon liner and the cables supposedly come pre lubed with Shimano SP41 grease. I can actually smell a little grease on there and can feel it, but it's a very, very, very thin amount.
And that's all you need, IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone...

Couple of final issues:

Where the front brake housing goes into the caliper is extraordinarily close to the head tube-mounted (brazed on) rear derail. barrel adjusters. It's going to cause huge binding/bending of the derail. housing depending on how sharp I turn left or right! This is odd, yes?

I never had this problem before (had Dura Ace 9spd on there previously).

Any ideas on what to do?

Here's a few pics to describe what's going on. I basically don't know what's the lesser evil: mounting the front brake housing to the inside or outside (when looking straight on from the front) of the derail. housing.

On this pic I pinched the calipers flush to the rim to show what it'll closely look like when brake cables installed & brake is adjusted:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cut your housing down just a bit more. Shifting housing shouldn't touch . When you do this ,mount your brake housing inside of outer shift housing and you will be fine .

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Agreed on shortening both the shifter cables. I always run the rear shifter cable housing to the "inside" of the front brake housing. All my bikes with Shimano STIs are built this way and they shift fine with no interference to the brake. Guess the OP can go either way, its easy to reroute the brake cable if he doesn't like the first alternative he goes with.

Also, I also give all the housings, brake and shifter, a shot of Triflo, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Done!

Came out pretty good, works fine. I took a stroll to a bike shop and looked around...many bikes similar issue (close tolerance between derail. barrel adj. and brake cable housing).

Thanks everyone for the tips/advice.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would suggest using only a good oil. Your choice. Not grease though - grease can harden inside the housing under certain conditions. This will cause a gummy response in the cables.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Shimano injects grease into the housing from the end with the Shimano lettering. When the cable is inserted the grease is pulled down into the rest of the housing.

The photos show the lettering is down by the cable stops which is backwards; the lettering needs to be up by the shifters that way the grease will be pulled into the housing instead of out.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Nessism said:
Shimano injects grease into the housing from the end with the Shimano lettering. When the cable is inserted the grease is pulled down into the rest of the housing.

The photos show the lettering is down by the cable stops which is backwards; the lettering needs to be up by the shifters that way the grease will be pulled into the housing instead of out.
I remember that now that you mention it.

I know the instructions tell you to have the Shimano lettering by the shifters but I wasn't sure they told you why. The inner wire definitely gets lubed when you run it thorough the housing.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
MerlinAma said:
I remember that now that you mention it.

I know the instructions tell you to have the Shimano lettering by the shifters but I wasn't sure they told you why. The inner wire definitely gets lubed when you run it thorough the housing.

The cable will appear well lubed where it exits the housing, but with the lettering facing down, the grease will have been pulled out of the housing, not through it like it should.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.