Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I spied that too some time ago. The slick pattern really caught my eye as thats what I will be adding to the quiver this year.

The most interesting feature for sure is the upgraded casing though. I have always though how strange it was that Vittoria made such legit and trusted road tubulars but some how puts out a total let down of a cross tire. Almost seemed like the were not trying (or didn't think cross was for real).
Based on road tyres, they 'should' be able to compete with Challenge right? Maybe not hand made, but at least high tread count cotton!

I'll order some asaa.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bringing this thread back....

Anybody have a chance to try the new tires yet with the new casings? Just ordered some of the new XNs but was curious if anybody else had tried either the new XN or XGs yet.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
hawss said:
A link for those that are Interweb challenged.
Its hard to tell what they mean by "new". New as of when? New in regards to what features? The "new" file tread has been on their website for over a year IIRC, but all photos I see are of the old tread w/o the side lugs.

IME, Vittorias are better for racing than any clincher, but inferior to any tubular as far as quality and durability.

They are also on sale at PBK, but their diagram of the file tread is not the "new" one: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Cyclocross Tubular & Clinchers

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
IME, Vittorias are better for racing than any clincher, but inferior to any tubular as far as quality and durability.
I was really dissapointed with their CX tubies.
The ruber felt like it was designed to lose traction instead of gain it. I'd never want that on the bottom of my shoe yet alone on a wet grassy corner in cross. And the sidewalls... what are they, steel belted? Why the heck are they soo stiff?

Finished gluing my challenge tubies yesterday. Can't wait to use them. Night and day in terms of quality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Its hard to tell what they mean by "new". New as of when? New in regards to what features? The "new" file tread has been on their website for over a year IIRC, but all photos I see are of the old tread w/o the side lugs.

They are also on sale at PBK, but their diagram of the file tread is not the "new" one: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Cyclocross Tubular & Clinchers
Higher threadcount this year. From what I can gather the ones marked EVO are the new 290TPI version where the non-EVO versions seem to be the 220tpi.

Here's another link that shows the new versions.

http://worldclasscycles.com/vittoria_evo_290_tpi_cyclocross.htm

·
Registered
72 Posts
With the improvements to the construction of the casing, 290tpi vs 220tpi and latex "inner tube" vs butyl, the should be dramatically more supple. However, like some of the others, I have had issues with the compound. It's ok at first, but seems to dry out/ harden very quickly. I was thinking of getting a pair, but then common sense kicked in and said " Why mess with a good thing?" I'll be riding Challenges this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.