Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try some cross racing. Before I take the plunge and buy a cross bike, I'm thinking of repurposing one of my existing bikes. Before I converted to the dark side of road riding, I mostly rode and raced mountain bikes, so I think I'd like cross, except for the running part.

• 1996/7 era Trek 970 mountain bike with rigid fork. It's a nice steel frame (True Temper OX III chromoly).
  • 1996 Trek 5550 OCLV road bike.

I know a guy who did cross on the same era 5500, but that was a few years ago. My main concern is finding tires that would fit the 5500. The 1996 Trek Technical Manual says the max tire size is 28.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
I'd like to try some cross racing. Before I take the plunge and buy a cross bike, I'm thinking of repurposing one of my existing bikes. Before I converted to the dark side of road riding, I mostly rode and raced mountain bikes, so I think I'd like cross, except for the running part.

• 1996/7 era Trek 970 mountain bike with rigid fork. It's a nice steel frame (True Temper OX III chromoly).
  • 1996 Trek 5550 OCLV road bike.

I know a guy who did cross on the same era 5500, but that was a few years ago. My main concern is finding tires that would fit the 5500. The 1996 Trek Technical Manual says the max tire size is 28.

Any thoughts?

I think your answer lies with what I bolded. I doubt you will like cross riding with 28c tires. The Trek 970 sounds like a better bet.

·
Trouble
26 Posts
The Trek 970 is a wonderful frame. The old 5500 would be horrible, 28 and short reach brake calipers will be horrible on mub.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.