Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike currently sports a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SSC's (2004 vintage, I think) - they came with the bike which I bought used a couple years ago. I am looking to upgrade/get a new set of wheels. As for what I am looking for in my new pair of wheels: they will be mostly used as a training wheel, with occasional racing, but I'm pretty light (155-160 lbs) so I don't need anything bombproof. I would prefer something lighter and stiffer instead of more aerodynamic, as I like climbing. I would like to keep the price around $500-$600.

I've looked around this forum and others, and custom builders seem to get pretty good reviews. Does anyone have any experiences of note with custom wheel builders, specifically with a similar type of wheel to what I am looking for? Who are the best builders for my needs (i.e. not super high-end)? Also, if anyone had any factory wheels to recommend, these suggestions would be welcomed as well. Assistance is greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Factory wheels: Easton EA90SLX. gvhbikes.com has them at 450, and sometimes they come up on chainlove for less.

For custom builders, 500-700 is a bread-and-butter price range. A standard custom wheel, (Niobium 27, White Inds hubs, CX-Ray) should fit. To get lighter, get Nio 19.

For a builder I'd go to Ron Ruff (look for rruff on the forums) of White Mountain.

This question comes up often, so use a search to see more replies. E.g., http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=131016

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.