Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a new wheel last week and five flats since then...no nails found but one can see that the tubes were punctured in the inside where they touch the rim and also in the side where they touch the tire wall but not the area of the tire that touches the ground...I havent had a flat in two years, I am using new gator tires, and I have pumped them up to 120, then 115 and 110 psi and ride on clean surfaces..all these flats dont make sense...any ideas?

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
Check the rim in the spot where the holes are.

Other strong possibilities:

Pinch flat from hitting a square edge hole or bump in the road.

Tire was pinched between the rim and the tire when installed. If the tire is tight fit this is something to watch out for.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
Possibilities are:

1) Improperly installed rim tape not covering all spoke holes completely - as Mike said.

2) A burr or sharp edge on the rim somewhere.

3) Improperly installed tube that had a fold in it between the rim and tire - as Changingleaf said.

With the high pressure you had in that tire, it is doubtful it's a pinch from a pothole unless you are over 250lbs. or the hole was large enough to throw you off the bike.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
With the high pressure you had in that tire, it is doubtful it's a pinch from a pothole unless you are over 250lbs. or the hole was large enough to throw you off the bike.[/QUOTE]

I must comment on this Lombard. I weigh 165 and have had quite a few pinch flats with the tires pumped up no less than 110psi. Note, these pinch flats almost always occurred while riding in a group and hitting a pothole (or large rock in the road) while seated. If I had time to get out of the saddle the flat may have been avoided. And I was never thrown from the bike.. Lost quite a few water bottles though. Only one of these pinch flats resulted in a dented rim. I do like to run lower pressure so pinch flats are the primary reason that I now run tubeless tires.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
I must comment on this Lombard. I weigh 165 and have had quite a few pinch flats with the tires pumped up no less than 110psi. Note, these pinch flats almost always occurred while riding in a group and hitting a pothole (or large rock in the road) while seated. If I had time to get out of the saddle the flat may have been avoided. And I was never thrown from the bike.. Lost quite a few water bottles though. Only one of these pinch flats resulted in a dented rim. I do like to run lower pressure so pinch flats are the primary reason that I now run tubeless tires.
Interesting. My weight fluctuates between 170 and 180 and I have had one pinch flat in over 15K miles of riding - I hopped a curb on my hybrid bike. All other flats I've had I found the offending object - a wire or tiny shard of glass. Though I can't say I've ever hit a hole where I lost a water bottle or dented a rim. I did graze the side of a hole once while climbing a hill which took me down, but no flat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Interesting. My weight fluctuates between 170 and 180 and I have had one pinch flat in over 15K miles of riding - I hopped a curb on my hybrid bike. All other flats I've had I found the offending object - a wire or tiny shard of glass. Though I can't say I've ever hit a hole where I lost a water bottle or dented a rim. I did graze the side of a hole once while climbing a hill which took me down, but no flat.
I'm pretty good about watching where I'm going and not running into stuff, and I've never had a pinch flat on the road while riding alone. But I've definitely been lead right into several big holes while in a paceline on a group ride, and hitting them seated at 25+mph. Not a good feeling!!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
I'm pretty good about watching where I'm going and not running into stuff, and I've never had a pinch flat on the road while riding alone. But I've definitely been lead right into several big holes while in a paceline on a group ride, and hitting them seated at 25+mph. Not a good feeling!!
That's why I don't paceline unless I know and trust the people I'm riding with very well.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Had a new wheel last week and five flats since then...no nails found but one can see that the tubes were punctured in the inside where they touch the rim and also in the side where they touch the tire wall but not the area of the tire that touches the ground
Rim strip - Sometimes they slip out of place when you install the tire or when the tire is pumped up. Possibly the one on the rim is too narrow. I'd replace the rim strip.

Tire - Run your hand around the inside of the tire. There may be a small wire or something that is stuck in the tire. If you cannot feel one, try using a cotton ball. Any sharp things on the inside of the tire will grab the cotton.

Rule #40 - align your tire label over the valve stem. This allows you to more easily figure out where the hole of the tube came from.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Rule #40 - align your tire label over the valve stem. This allows you to more easily figure out where the hole of the tube came from.
^^^^^^ This - you really need to find exactly where you are getting the punctures from - when you find that you can fix the problem. When you pull the tube out after a flat, keep it oriented the same way and lay it on the side of the wheel - find the hole and look there on the rim or tire depending on where the hole is in the tube. Search that area and expand your search a few inches either side if you don't find it at the exact location you think it should be.

It should be obvious if it's a pinch flat from the looks of the holes. I doubt it's a pinch flat if the problem started when you changed wheels though, more likely it's the rim tape or tire.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Friend just went through this, lbs found a crack with a sharp edge on the bottom of the tire bead making it seem like a rim strip problem since the hole was always towards the inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts