Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
abkol said:
Looking to buy a great set of wheels. I don't race, but do a lot of long rides and like to climb. Any suggestions?
Don't bother spending that much money.

Look for quality hubs
Shimano 105 or Ultegra
Campagnolo Veloce or Centaur (even Chorus)

rims:
Velocity Aeroheads
DT 1.1
Mavic Open Pro

spokes:
double butted (forget straight gauge)

Typical spoke counts are 28-36 depending on your weight and road conditions.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
abkol said:
Thanks. Right now I'm riding on Dura Ace wheels. I'm guessing you probably think they're more than fine, and anything else would probably be a waste of $?
It depends on what your priorities are. If you are talking about the DA low spoke count wheels, then you could get something more durable and easier to service for a lot less money. You could also get something lighter for less money... but if you are expecting a noticable speed improvement, it won't happen.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
abkol said:
Thanks. Right now I'm riding on Dura Ace wheels. I'm guessing you probably think they're more than fine, and anything else would probably be a waste of $?
Well if you want a noticeable improvement over that then:

Zipp 420 rims
Tune 75/190 hubs
Sapim CX-Ray spoke
18/14 spokes
radial front and 2 cross drive

Those should roll like they've got motors attached to them once you get over 25m/hr. Crosswind performance is also great for a deep section rim.

-Eric

·
Registered
453 Posts
That's a lot of coin for a recreational rider who's not racing. It would be a wonderful set of wheels though, very nice for long rides at high average speeds. What kind of budget are you working with abkol?

·
Registered
584 Posts
What about someone riding bontager select wheels on a trek 1500? Would some B X-lites or ksyrium SSL or elites make a noticable difference? Neuvation, american classic, others?
(Want to ride as fast as I can on group rides, but want them to last. I weigh 140-150 at most. Never done a bike race/triathlon of any type).

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
hairscrambled said:
Would you like somthing that is durable? Light weight? Spins up quickly and has a comfortable ride?

If you answered yes - Campy Neutrons.
White Industries H1
Velocity Aerohead (OC rear)
Sapim Laser (Wheelsmith DB 14 drive rear)
brass nipples
32 3 cross all the way.

Actual 1554g

Cheaper, better. Unless you get the Neutrons at a discount. The Neutrons are great, but not worth full retail.

-Eric

·
Registered
95 Posts
open pros with ultegra or dura ace hubs?

is there a difference between the wheelsets?
thinking of buying another set of open pro/ultegras, but thought of possibly purchasing the open pros with dura ace hubs. is it worth the extra hundred bucks, in performance?

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
keeshadog said:
is there a difference between the wheelsets?
thinking of buying another set of open pro/ultegras, but thought of possibly purchasing the open pros with dura ace hubs. is it worth the extra hundred bucks, in performance?
You need 10 speed in order to use Dura Ace. Ultegra will work with 8, 9, and 10. The performance difference is negligable. The hub is there to make the wheel go round (quality bearings on both) and hold the spokes together (similar flange geometry). The only place Dura Ace clearly wins is weight. You'll save an enormous 100g grams between the two sets.:D

-Eric

·
Registered
202 Posts
r28sl and r28 aero 2

trek5200cs said:
Has anyone used or ridding Neuvation R28's? They seem to be priced well and are reasonably weight. I don't know anything about them. Would love to hear from those in the know.
My regular wheels are Neuvation R28SLs. I really like them.I have about 2600 miles on them and they have stayed true. They spin up really fast and they weigh about 1480 grams. One of my buddies showed up with a set on his litespeed a few weeks ago.

I also bought a set of the R28 Aero 2s in May for use with a hill climbing cassette and fatter tires. I wanted something that was stiffer and stronger for those terrible roads you get to ride on centuries. I have about 500 miles on this set. They are stiffer and feel more stable. They don't spin up as fast as the R28SLs but they spin up fast. And I can get to a higher sustained speed on flat levee roads, about 1.5 mph faster on a 1/2 mile run.

I am really happy with both sets.

TT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rol Wheels

I just got a set of Rol SL28 wheels http://www.rolwheels.com and have been pretty happy with them. I've only ridden about 400 miles on them so I don't have a lot of experience, but they seem pretty durable and Sean at Rol Wheels was great to work with. For $199 a set and 1710g, it's hard to go wrong. As far as comparisons, I haven't really noticed any difference in climbing or getting up to speed between these and my Mavic Heliums that I crashed. I am definitely a recreational rider, so spending $600+ for a new wheelset was not what I was looking to do.

Thanks,
Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.