Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently ride a Trek 1.1 with about 3000 miles on it. All I know is it has "Alloy hubs w/Bontrager Approved alloy rims" on it (not sure what this means).

I'm a phatty weighing in at 250 USDA lbs and average around 13.5 MPH over 50 miles of rolling midwestern hills. Finally have worked up to the big front ring and generally average 90 to 100 for cadence. I run 110 PSI in the stock Bontrager T1, 700x23c

Broke a rear drive side spoke last night (having it fixed), but decided to also get a second set of wheels.

I just sent the wife to pickup a set of Shimano 105/Mavic Open Sport wheels from the local performance bike storefront. I realize that losing weight is probably going to get me more speed than new wheels, but have read the Shimano 105/Mavic Open Sports are probably more suited to my eating and drinking habits.

My question is: Are these new wheels "better" than the stock Trek 1.1 wheels, a step down, or a straight across swap. Honestly my main concern is staying road worthy while I continue to drop weight then I can drop major coin on some super speedy wheels :D

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Those wheels will be lots better than the low spoke OEM wheels. Your new ones will probably have 32/32 spokes which will be lots better for you. But as you don't know who built them or how much care went into their build and spoke "optimization" (read about it on my site) it could be that they will need re-tensioning and truing after a few rides.

And please, get yourself some 25mm wide tires that will be much more forgiving for your weight - and inflate them properly (about 100psi max).

You won't find such things as "super speedy wheels". They don't exist. Wheels tailored to you, your riding and built properly are Super Wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

I'm sure they'll require some truing/adjustments as they came from a high volume shop but I wanted to get something under me before the weekend.

And please, get yourself some 25mm wide tires that will be much more forgiving for your weight - and inflate them properly (about 100psi max).
Also thanks for being nice and not just saying get some bigger tires fatty!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HA! I clicked your link and realized that's one of the sites I visited researching my broken drive side spoke issue and trying to figure out what would fit under my fat ass... rather funny coincidence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.