Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in to cycling and don't know enough to make the right choice. I'm looking to improve my ride and want to start with my wheel/tires set. Current set up is Xero XSR-3 with Michelin Dynamic on Giant OCR comp3.

Any suggestions on a good upgrade without getting in too deep?

·
Registered
173 Posts
what kind of budget are you talking about here?

to be honest, wheels dont make an enormous difference from my experience. it will make the bike lighter, and depending on the wheel, the bike could handle differently and ride differently.

but the differences between nice wheelsets are marginal at best.

are you a light rider, or a heavy one? are you aggressive?

whatever you may be, i have one suggestion for you: stay away from shimano whr-550 wheels. i read reviews and for whatever reason, people like this wheelset...but i must point out that under my 135lb weight, i can bend these wheels out of the saddle. i bend them enough to rub the brakes, and i had to adjust the brake calipers so that the pads had ample distance from the rims in order to remedy this from happening.

i believe the culprit to be the radial laced drive side (that and...there's only 20 spokes in the back). it's a really floppy wheel...you can bend it around with ease with your hand...and the wheels on my beater bike are much stiffer.

as a final suggestion, may i also suggest that you dont read too deeply into the marketing mumbo jumbo... i realise that there are some differences from wheel to wheel, but "aero" aluminum rims are hardly going to have any advantage over boxed rims...at least, u will not notice the difference. and as i noted earlier, look at the spoke lacing...i dont know what's going on with this radial drive side stuff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts