Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this bike

Diamondback Bicycles - Diamondback Bikes, 2017 Haanjo EXP Carbon

It comes with 27.5 wheels and 2.1" knobbies. They work really well for what they are, but they do slow me down on pavement.
I want a set of 700c wheels for 30mm to 45ish mm road/touring/gravel tires.
It has 12mm through-axles front and rear. Disc brakes. Probably 32 spoke since I am 200lbs and will do some loaded touring and dirt, but mostly just unloaded commuting and trying to keep up on group rides.

I'm new to wheel upgrades and buying, so don't really know what the best resources or options are. Scanning the web a little bit, I found nothing that really seems to fit. Is 12mm axles an unusual thing?

I would get a set of rotors too, so I can easily switch from dirt wheels to road wheels for any given ride.

·
CX'er
863 Posts
the 12mm front thru-axle is a little newer than other thru-axle standard as it came about from the road disc push which is recent.

I always recommend Velocity USA for custom builds using an aluminum rim because I like their products and they're local to me. There are quite a few other wheel builders as well that do a great job. I'm not sure how heavier you're looking to go but from velocity I would look at the cliffhanger, dyad, or aileron rims, listed from strongest to more race worthy. The atlas/noBS rims would be a heavy touring option.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Word of caution: you are converting from 650B (27.5") and 2.1" tires to 700c (29") and 45mm tires. Make sure you have enough clearance (especially at the fork crown) to do so.

From the link you posted, the bike shows it comes with the HED Tomcat rwheels. These are the 650B cousin of the HED Ardennes (700c). The rims are slightly heavier than the Ardennes (about 30 grams) and pinned vs. welded joints. If I recall correctly, the Tomcat hubs are generic offerings rather than made by HED as the Ardennes hubs are.
The Ardennes are road disk specific and come with the same axle type as the Tomcat (12mm front and 142x12 rear) so you should not have a problem there. You could also commission a custom built along these lines from a reputable wheel builder.

Another option would be to just replace your 650B knobbies with 650B supple file-tread tires in the 38mm-42mm size. I think you will see a significant difference on pavement from what you have now.
Compass and Soma make such tires. Link for Compass : https://www.compasscycle.com/product-category/components/tires/650b/
This is the first step i would have done if i was in your position.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Another option would be to just replace your 650B knobbies with 650B supple file-tread tires in the 38mm-42mm size. I think you will see a significant difference on pavement from what you have now.
Compass and Soma make such tires. Link for Compass : https://www.compasscycle.com/product-category/components/tires/650b/
I agree with this, these tires will go a long way in improving your pavement miles while still allowing you to ride some gravel. I'm running them on my road bike and am quite happy with them. I've ridden them on gravel enough to know I'm comfortable using them there, and they're as nice of a road tire as you could want, and they wear. I'm 185lbs and retired my 1st rear tire at 4000 miles, and it had some wear left. I moved my front to the rear and that tire now has 7600 miles on it. I probably should change it out, but I've got it in my head that I want 8000 miles on it.

I run the tires at 45/50 psi and they just about sing on the road. They are the standard casing and as much as I'd like to try the extra lights I just can't bring myself to get up off the money they'd cost, specially considering how happy I am with the standard casing.

P.S.
I don't like talking about this, but, 4000 miles on the retired rear, 7600 miles on the replacement rear that spent half it's life on the front and 3600 miles on the replacement front, and haven't had a flat yet.

P.P.S.
This is all on the "Baby Shoe Pass" 42mm standard casing.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Another thing came to mind.

If you're concerned with wheel weight, the 650b wheel should be lighter than the 700c wheel if shod with comparable tires.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

Exactly. Changing your tires from knobbies to smooth will speed you up WAY, WAY more than upgrading your wheels.

So the only reason for getting new wheels would be to be able to swap easily between road and mountain use. As DC Griz said, make sure 700c wheels will fit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are on the same page. I was about to order a set of Schwalbe G-One All Around 27.5 x 40mm, but would really like to be able to just change wheels when I want, instead of changing tires when I want to go "mountain biking". Although I have a nice road bike, so I should just use that when I need road speed.
On the Hed website, they only show the Ardennes available with 24 spokes. That seems too light duty fro my needs. November shows them with 32.
I'll check out Velocity too.
Thanks for the input.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Although I have a nice road bike, so I should just use that when I need road speed.
Umm, yes. You would get use out of your road bike this way and also save $$ by not having to buy an extra set of wheels.
On the Hed website, they only show the Ardennes available with 24 spokes. That seems too light duty fro my needs. November shows them with 32.
I'll check out Velocity too.
Thanks for the input.
24 spokes is too low for a 200lb+ man. You should probably have at least 28 front/32 rear. Check out some of the Boyd Wheels offerings. They have a good reputation and will build to spec:

Alloy Wheels - Boyd Cycling

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. You talked me into the more conservative approach. I ordered a pair of Babyshoe Pass Extralight tires for the existing wheels. It only takes an extra few minutes to change tires instead of swapping wheels. Those tires really work in loose dirt, eh? they look pretty slick. I almost went for the 48mm version, but for mostly road use, the 42s are probably perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
OK. You talked me into the more conservative approach. I ordered a pair of Babyshoe Pass Extralight tires for the existing wheels. It only takes an extra few minutes to change tires instead of swapping wheels. Those tires really work in loose dirt, eh? they look pretty slick. I almost went for the 48mm version, but for mostly road use, the 42s are probably perfect.
The 42s are pretty good choice for mixed use. Several of the 650Bs I know prefer 38mm for smooth road pavement.
Since you went with the Extralights might as well try latex tubes with them.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Those tires really work in loose dirt, eh? they look pretty slick.
With care, yes. And that depends on how loose and how deep. I probably wouldn't blast it. If it's hard pack, no problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts