Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Easton EA90SLX's are near the end of it's life. The brake track is just about done so I will need a new wheelset that's similar in spec to the EA90SLX's.

I like the light weight of the wheels. I'm 150lbs, and in my area there are a lot of climbs so having a fairly light wheel is important. I also hated the ceramic bearings. I ditched those when they were done, and replaced them with regular steel bearings.

I'm looking for a light weight, relatively low maintenance wheel for about $800 or so. I've considered the Dura Ace C24, and looked at a custom build kinlin XR270, XR300, XC279 with CK R45 and cx rays 20/24 spoke count. I like the idea of a wider rim for it's aero advantages, but I don't think I will be going with a 25c tire. What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
I think that the ride quality of the XC279 is far superior to any of the previous Kinlins. It isn't the lightest hoop out there, but it does have a consistent and predictable feel.
The CK hubs are definitely an option. If you wanted to save a few bucks, the T11s from White Industries are a great option. Similar quality to the Kings, but $200 cheaper.
At your weight, you could go with a 20/24 on the XC279. If you wanted to err on the side of overbuilding, go 20/28.

If you wanted to shave a bit of weight, you could go with a hoop like the Archetype from H Plus Son. It has a bit nicer finish than the Kinlin lineup and it would be slightly lighter. You would still get the 23mm wide profile with that hoop too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I weigh the same as you and recently built a wheelset with the XC279 rim and 20/24 Sapim CX-Rays. Total weight was 1490 grams (with brass nipples). My 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro III tyres measure 25mm wide on these rims. I run 10 psi lower tyre pressures compared with another wheelset using the XR270 rim. Ride quality is excellent over poorer road surfaces and cornering is better. Admittedly the XR279 rim weighed 480 grams versus 445 grams for the XR270 but I haven't noticed any reduced climbing performance (indeed yesterday I just did a personal best on a climb with the heavier rims). Perhaps you might wish to consider the Pacenti SL23 rim which weighs around 450 grams and provides the benefit of a wider rim. My wife had a Dura-Ace C24 wheelset but it's now out of action after hitting a pothole which dented the rim and both wheels went significantly out of true due to the low spoke count.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.