Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Have recently bought a new Trek Madone 5.2 in Black. Great bike, will be looking to upgrade the wheels in due course. I would benefit from some feedback on good options around the £600/$900 mark for a set.

I like the Fulcrum Racing Zero's but should I be looking at carbon?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
What are your goals for the new wheels? What deficiencies in the current wheels are you trying to address? What do you plan to use the wheels for?

Opinions vary, but I don't see a lot of reason to go to the extra expense, the hassles of carbon brake tracks, lesser crosswind experience, and usually stiffer (rougher) ride quality unless it's to shave those final few seconds off of your class-topping racing speed. For riding around, training, and group rides, a set of aluminum clinchers with an appropriately high number of spokes makes a lot more sense, and won't take a thing away from the experience of riding.

But, they are cool, and that has it's own sort of value.

I don't find many 'system' wheels compelling, especially at that price point. There's some high-zoot stuff that's nicer but over that budget, and a lot of cheaper stuff that's every bit as good. IMO, you're mostly spending more than you are getting around there. I'd be building my own (or having them built.)

On the other hand, hybrids like the HED Jet 5 Express or the Cosmic Carbone SL blur all of those lines, if you can find a sale.

HED Jet 5 Express Wheelset - Clincher - Competitive Cyclist

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just got the Jet 5s at Backcountry. For some reason, Backcountry supports Fatwallet, but CC doesn't.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
ffs the Wheels and Tires subforum should be bumped higher so people notice it.

But as for the question, the Zero's are perfectly fine. End of the day, you're paying further for aesthetics.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys and thanks for the HED link. A friend has a set and likes them a lot although he is into TT a lot. I don't need the full carbon thing but a set of 50's do look great. I think a set of Racing 1's or 0's would probably be ideal, very light, ceramic bearings and bomb proof.

I haven't heard great things about Shimano wheels so haven't looked at the C24's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.