Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new wheels showed up yesterday (no pics). I got 'em from http://www.psimet.com/

Hi built up Alchemy Hubs (Campy), Kinlin XR270 rims, CXRay spokes, and brass nipples. Laced 20/24. Front is radial. Back is 2x drive side and 1x on the other. No problem moving over the cassette from the old wheels (Bontrager RaceXLights - the paired spoke version from ~2 years ago). The cassette seems to be in the same relative position and no rear der tweaks were needed. I did have to open up the brakes a bit as the new rims are a tad wider.

With rim tape, the old wheels were 1817gms (actual weight).
With rim tape, the new wheels are 1446gms (actual weight).

That's a big difference! Enough to bring my bike from 17lbs to 16 1/4lbs. I don't know what I'll notice on my ride tomorrow. I have heard that the Alchemy hubs roll better than the DT Swiss hubs on the Bontragers. And the rims/spokes are lighter. Climbing should be a bit easier, but what will perception be? I did notice that the freehub is quieter.

I'll find out tomorrow. Maiden ride is ~75mi and 4500 with grades up to 14%. I'll put in a post ride report in this thread.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Congrats ! I went about the same weight change wise years ago on clinchers & you will love the first ride. After that it kind of becomes the norm...But I still remember that 1st ride.
Losing 400 grams off a set of wheels has got to be one of the best feelings.

On a side note that site you bought from/linked says this about their 50mm carbon wheels....
You can get into the series for $699 for tubular and $799 for clinchers.

So I wondered ....are those the same china carbon rims from the other thread? Also that price is very low for a built set of carbon wheels eh? Perhaps he meant just the rims?

·
Registered
403 Posts
flying said:
So I wondered ....are those the same china carbon rims from the other thread? Also that price is very low for a built set of carbon wheels eh? Perhaps he meant just the rims?
AFAIK that's for a set built with Novatech hubs, not sure what spokes.

He's pretty active on bikeforums.net too if you want to check out some more threads about his wheels...

·
Registered
474 Posts
flying said:
No, he builds the wheels himself and I believe the rims are Gigantex, the same ones that Neuvation, Planet-X, etc. use

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Holy cow! What a difference those wheels made. As far as I can tell, it's not placebo. My HR was 8bpm slower at the same pace on hills. Same on the flats. They roll super smooth. Much better than my Bontrager wheels. I think they'll be for sale - anyone want some RaceXLights with a Campy freehub?

Anyway, I'm really happy with the wheels. Even hit a couple of good holes today and they're still true.

More time will tell the story, but the initial impressions are outstanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
flying said:
Congrats ! I went about the same weight change wise years ago on clinchers & you will love the first ride. After that it kind of becomes the norm...But I still remember that 1st ride.
Losing 400 grams off a set of wheels has got to be one of the best feelings.

On a side note that site you bought from/linked says this about their 50mm carbon wheels....
You can get into the series for $699 for tubular and $799 for clinchers.

Don't know what other thread there was...not too active on here. Got driven back over here because of all the traffic this generated on my site - thanks.

The carbon rims are from Gigantex in Taiwan. They are NOT from China - big difference. Those prices were for full built options with some of my import hubs and DT spokes. I custom configure and custom price to suit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Big difference between China and Taiwan, and also a big difference between having a wheel built overseas in a random factory and having a builder doing it for you locally to your spec (taking into account riding style, weight etc.)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quixote said:
Mind if I ask what they set you back?
I'll send you a PM with that. PSIMet doesn't post prices on his website. And while I can speculate as to the reasons, I think I'd rather respect that. So check your box.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Psimet said:
Don't know what other thread there was...not too active on here. Got driven back over here because of all the traffic this generated on my site - thanks.

The carbon rims are from Gigantex in Taiwan. They are NOT from China - big difference. Those prices were for full built options with some of my import hubs and DT spokes. I custom configure and custom price to suit.

Hey thanks for the reply. Am out of the country at the moment but when I get back I may just give you a call.
Nice Price !

PS: can you give an idea here of weights on the carbon wheels ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup - I don't post prices for a few reasons as one would suspect. The biggest reason is that it would serve to push away more customers than it should - I can custom spec and build to fit anyone's specific price point so people might mistakenly think they can't afford them - or think they're too cheap.

I'd rather just start a dialog with them instead and find what works for them.

Not trying to advertise or spam here - just trying to explain some of the reasoning posed by forum members in this thread. Thanks for reading.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts