Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought a Giant TCX SLR 1 for commuting to work, which will involve about 30% riding on the road and the remainder on gravel biking tracks.

I understand that the stock P-X2 wheels are pretty heavy - about 2200g or more - and I'm looking to get a wheelset in the 1600-1700g range. From what I've seen, there aren't many wheelsets that come with 15mm thru axel on the front and standard qr on the back, while also being disc compatible.

Could anyone let me know of any options they'd recommend at the cheaper end of the scale? The only wheels I've found so far are the DT Swiss R 24 spline, anyone recommend these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Before you buy new wheels ask yourself what you want the new wheels to do while commuting that your old wheels do not do well enough or efficiently enough and while you are thinking about it replace your stock knobby tires with slicker file tread type tires if you have not done so already.
Panaracer file tread Gravel King, Challenge Strada Bianca, Soma Vittesse are good choices in the 28-32mm ~300gram size.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Giant has the P-CX1 wheel set that is 1755g that will work just fine. Other option is to have a custom set build, I went that route.

Stan's Iron cross rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs, Saipam spokes, 1450g for $850 delivered.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
If you want to keep it cheap don't buy anything. Seriously, you won't benefit any by dropping weight for that type of riding. In fact, depending what this gravel is like you may actually like riding on heavy wheels more.
But if there are things you want to change other than weight let us know what they are and I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts