Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Roubaix Elite. Will new wheels make a difference. the rims on the bike now are alex 295. I weigh about 158. What are decent wheels or do I even need to change. Will different rims make hill climing less demanding. I am new to road biking.

·
Registered
279 Posts
sheps58 said:
I have the Roubaix Elite. Will new wheels make a difference. the rims on the bike now are alex 295. I weigh about 158. What are decent wheels or do I even need to change. Will different rims make hill climing less demanding. I am new to road biking.
Suggest you contact Mike Garcia at Odds and Endos (http://www.oddsandendos.com). He built up a set of Velocity Arrowhead OC and Nimble Spider for me (1403 gms) that has been great. Sadly I hit a pothole hard last week so I had to send my Aroowhead OC back to him for a fix, but he warrantees his wheels for two years, so I pay for parts and shipping. This set cost less than $400 delivered. I now use the Ksyrium Equipes that came stock on my Roubaix as backup. There is a one pound difference between the two wheelsets. Does it make a difference? I think so, but it might be more psychological than anything else. Now that winter is here and I'm riding less I can tell the difference that conditioning plays - by far the most significant factor imo. The more you climb hills the easier they become. If you have the extra $ burning a hole in your pocket and you want some bling, buy some new wheels and keep the alex for reserve. BTW, a buddy of mine had the alex wheels on his Allez and he busted one at the hub. Got a great deal on some Easton Curcuit Comps and he's happy rolling on those now. FWIW, both he and I noticed that the lighter wheels tend to bounce around more on bumpy descents, a bit disconcerting if you're new to cycling perhaps.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I put Ksyrium Elites on my Roubaix comp. I've been happy with Open Pros from Colorado Cyclist on my previous bike, and came close to getting Circuits instead of the Ks. I had very bad luck with Alex wheels on my previous bike, but supposedly they are now better. You won't catch me with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts