Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this by mistake in another forum, whoops!

Stock wheels on F5
So Im wanting to upgrade the wheels on my new F5. Has anyone weighed the stock wheelset? Im wondering what real weight savings I can expect by going to something like the AC 420 Aero 3's. I know the weight savings will have a minimal effect on the overall performance of the bike. I'll be the first to admit the switch to a new set will have more to do with satisfying my vanity than it will anything else. I like the look of the deeper rim profile, ie the AC 420's.

My second question would be are there any other solid recommendations besides the 420's that match the wheels quality and price point. And finally, the cheapest I've seen a set is just shy of 7 Franklins, anyone know of a cheaper source?

·
College Student Commuter
190 Posts
Neuvation wheels are pretty cheap, people have been raving about them. I don't have one myself, but I will by next friday as I just bought a bike from them and am waiting to pick it up.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Dray3573 said:
I posted this by mistake in another forum, whoops!

Stock wheels on F5
So Im wanting to upgrade the wheels on my new F5. Has anyone weighed the stock wheelset? Im wondering what real weight savings I can expect by going to something like the AC 420 Aero 3's. I know the weight savings will have a minimal effect on the overall performance of the bike. I'll be the first to admit the switch to a new set will have more to do with satisfying my vanity than it will anything else. I like the look of the deeper rim profile, ie the AC 420's.

My second question would be are there any other solid recommendations besides the 420's that match the wheels quality and price point. And finally, the cheapest I've seen a set is just shy of 7 Franklins, anyone know of a cheaper source?

Oh dear....please tell me you will get them in black?

Is it just me or would the gold set of Campags with G3 would look the bomb on the black with red decals...

·
Ride bicycles? Why?
522 Posts
The stock wheelset is just about 1950gr. I'll weigh them for you tomorrow with pictures. You WILL see a difference in performance from a lighter wheelset. I did several loops on aksiums(about equivalent weight wise) vs. the Roval fusee sl 25's(1450gr.) I bought and the Rovals were on avg 1.7mph faster over the course of 42 miles = less energy used throughout the ride. My personal feeling is that the stock F5 wheels ride similar to the aksiums performance wise but, I have no data to back that up. We also have a set of Roval Rapide's that Im going to try out over a 33 mile loop and can report back on that ride probably next weekend.

I know there are a lot of variables when testing equipment this way BUT, I feel there is no better way to test stuff other than where it matters. Out on the road.

·
Ride bicycles? Why?
522 Posts
lockwood1 said:
a lot of people in here don't like them because their not aero, ugly and a lot of other negative things but I think Mavic Ksyrium Elite's are a great choice for your F5

I have to agree that they're ugly but, if you want to climb and dont need aero wheels then they make a fine set of wheels if you can find them cheaper than retail. ROL is also making a super nice set of wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts