Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got a chance to really try my new wheels. They are Velocity Aeroheads with aero Wheelsmith spokes, and White Industries H1 hubs.
When I first got them a few weeks back, I had problems with the rear wheel. First, it was obviously out of true, but I wanted to try it anyway. Whenever I started to go up a decent sized hill, the rear wheel would start to work its way out of the dropouts until the tire rubbed against the brake pads. No matter how much I re-adjusted it and no matter how tight I clamped that Speedcific QR skewer, the wheel would start coming off with any significant exertion. So I sent it back for truing and a new skewer, Mike sent me back a Speedcific bolt on skewer, and a Ringle QR. Have not tried the bolt on yet, but when I tried the Ringle, the same damn thing would happen! The wheel would start coming off, working its way out of the dropouts with any real torque. So for the hell of it I put my Campy QR skewer on that rear wheel and guess what? No problems since, I noticed that both the Ringle and Speedcific skewers have a light, cheap feel to them- especially the handles.

I am curious as to whether anyone ever had a similar experience with these skewers or other brands. It is such a simple but crucial part of the bike and I have never heard of anyone having so much trouble with a skewer. By the way, the front Speedcific skewer seems to hold the wheel on fine, but I am not taking any chances- Today I switched to my old Campy on that one too.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I found that I had to really crank on the Speedcific skewers on my Airborne. I have also used those wheels on my QS2 and R3, and I didn't have to crank down as much on those bikes (but still more than my other wheels). I think that the Ti dropouts allow less grip, and the shape of the dropouts on the fork on the Airborne the same.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've had Speedcific skewers 'go bad' after a while and show that problem. The latest wheel I got (yesterday) came with what looks like some other generic brand of skewer. I'm using American Classic steel skewers these days anyways, which seem to work a bit better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.