Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a great deal on a set of 05 Campy Hyperons.
I had been looking & wondering about a carbon tubbie set. So it was good timing.
Not super light by today's standards at 1289 grams for the set. But very well made nice finish work & not fragile from what I can tell.
Weight wise it is only a little lighter than my Garcia built Clinchers.
Ride today 50 miles with good climbs & descents & they were very good though as I said not super light the weight reduction was noticeable
The weight drop all told was only 123 grams on the wheels but with the tubulars & a lighter cassette 220 grams total so on the climbs it was noticeable.These wheels are quite a bit stiffer laterally than my clinchers too. Which surprised me since my clinchers are 24/28 radial front 2x crossed on both sides rear. Compared to these Hyperons 22/24 spokes radial front & rear non-drive side.
But the ride ;) Oh so nice. I know many here like clinchers & so do I . But I rode tubbies for 15+ years & only switched to clinchers this last year due to a move to a place that seemed to have more road glass. Funny though I have not had flats on the clinchers ( knock on wood ) except one very slow leak. Anyway the ride is as I remember tubbies to be. Just better imho. They roll/lean into fast corners better & ride feel is better. But these carbon rims add to that an extra layer of comfort. Especially over chatter bumps or broken pavement. Right now I am just running Conti Sprinters because I wanted to try these wheels before stocking up & see if they were worth better tires. The contis are great & at 35 bucks a pop who could complain. But these wheels also deserve a set of Veloflex tires soon ;) Braking wise they stop as fast as anything. I am using SwissStops yellow pads. Since I run Mavic SSC's I could not use the included campy specific pads.Great brake feel & feedback no sticky feel at all. I am sure I will get rained on soon so we will see how they perform when wet. But judging by today I bet they do fine or as good as any aluminum rim in the wet. Overall I am very happy with these wheels.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Flying, excellnet ride review. If you decide to try the Tufo's to drop 100 grams this is the best place to buy them: www.worldclasscycles.com IUBike has been on them and loves them, I have never ridden them but do have a set to try when my Sprinters wearout. Everything you read on them is a very love/hate opinion and no middle of the road. I think the weight savings deserves trying one pair.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Juan,
Yeah 100 grams off the wheels is worth a look. I cannot remember why I never considered Tufos before. I will have another look.
Thanks for the tips on the Sprinters too. They were pretty nice yesterday.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Nice wheels. I've got set in mind if I land a big job/project that my company is bidding on. I've been running the Conti Sprinters lately also and I agree that they're a pretty damn good tire for $35. Campy carbon wheels do stop pretty good especially after they break in a bit but don't expect them to do nearly as well as aluminum rims in the wet. I've only used my Boras in the rain once and I'd never do again if it were an option. Generally in SoCal rain isn't much of an issue. Enjoy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean Rocco
I was lucky & scored a brand new set off Ebay for 1350 shipped.
I figured the price was so good I had to give it a try.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Weight savings

flying said:
The weight drop all told was only 123 grams on the wheels but with the tubulars & a lighter cassette 220 grams total so on the climbs it was noticeable.
Interesting observation. A simple calculation would tell you that saving 200 grams climbing a 6% grade for an hour at 200 watts output would save 8 seconds - a 0.02 mph speed increase. You must have been timing things very closely to "notice" that kind of improvement.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kerry Irons said:
Interesting observation. A simple calculation would tell you that saving 200 grams climbing a 6% grade for an hour at 200 watts output would save 8 seconds - a 0.02 mph speed increase. You must have been timing things very closely to "notice" that kind of improvement.
What can I tell you :confused: I'm just saying I can *feel* the difference. You drop 200 grams off your wheel ( almost 1/2 a pound)
You cannot feel that? But mainly as I said I am a died in the wool tubbie rider ;) I feel that too. So my main reason for trying a new set like this was going back to tubbies. I was not looking for a big weight saving as I am already doing pretty good. If I were I guess I would have bought Reynolds KOM wheels & saved double what I did.
Of course your milage may vary.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
flying said:
What can I tell you :confused: I'm just saying I can *feel* the difference. You drop 200 grams off your wheel ( almost 1/2 a pound)
You cannot feel that? But mainly as I said I am a died in the wool tubbie rider ;) I feel that too. So my main reason for trying a new set like this was going back to tubbies. I was not looking for a big weight saving as I am already doing pretty good. If I were I guess I would have bought Reynolds KOM wheels & saved double what I did.
Of course your milage may vary.
Well, it is less than half the water in one bottle. Not sure if you optimise you water bottle content before climbs. I don't

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I have a "race day wheelset" and "training wheels."

The race wheels are about 400g lighter, with tyres/tubes, and I can definitely feel that they are laterally stiffer (deeper rim) and roll better (nicer tyres,) but I cannot honestly say that, on a smooth, steady climb, they feel any lighter/faster.

But, then, neither are Hyperons...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great wheels. Congrats!

I am running the Hyperon Ultra clinchers (irrational fear of tubs) and am similarly happy with them with regards lateral stiffness and comfort. I also run the SwissStop yellow pads and while they are great in the dry I found they were not great on my Campy Eurus wheels. Also breaking in the wet on the Hyperons was scary stuff but certainly better than with the stock pads provided. Maybe this will improve when the breaking surfaces are broken in?

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think what you feel is mostly the decrease in gyroscopic effect. You bike will feel lighter because it's easier to move side to side and steering inputs react quicker or become twitchier.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
I rode a set for a while. I must say that they are seriously nice wheels. Others have a valid argument about the cost/benefit ratio, but they are great wheels never the less.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
He's feeling a couple grand lighter in the pocket! That is noticeable ;)

Anyways, love those wheels. They aren't weight weenie wheels, they are racing wheels. They have been raced in Pro events. Any other weenie wheels have not. Keep that in mind.

And, don't ruin them by riding Tufos. Move up to Conti Competitions or Veloflex.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
You must have been timing things very closely to "notice" that kind of improvement.
v RAIN v RAIN v RAIN v

Flying's parade.​

Geez, you're a nice guy. I'm sure glad I know how to quanitify the feel-good gains of Flying's new wheels, and I'm guessing he'll be able to sleep tonight.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ den baker.... Actually it is like only a 1/3 of one of my water bottles weight as I use 24 oz bottles ;)

@ frank72....Thanks for the heads up. Good to know about the pads. Those Ultras look very cool. Hard to believe they could make a all carbon clincher. Very nice....Congrats.

@divve.....You are probably correct. Sound very logical. Thanks

@ ergott & Spunout.... Thanks yes cost wise I would never pay the regular price of these wheels. But when I saw them for more than half off it looked pretty good. Hard to find any decent light tubular wheels these days unless you go carbon. These & the Reynolds looked like the most durable & usable rims. The Campy I thought had the best hubs of the non custom built stuff.

@ SDizzle......:D Thanks I did smile when I saw your post. Its funny but I see a lot of flamey posts on this site & usually by the same guys. It is called road bike review but ??? :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Question...

I've got a pair of Hyperons too and love them. However, I tend to switch the wheels between two different bike. The other bike has aluminum clinchers. Is it really necessary to switch the brake pads too? I've always heard that aluminum clinchers will imbed metal debris from the brake sidewall into the pad and if you switch to carbon rimmed braking surface the metal debris will wreck the carbon rims. Is this true? I've been switching the pads but it's a pain in the a$$.

Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Piles said:
Just got to say............yum, they look gorgeous.
Thanks Piles
I am terrible at taking photos. Here is a pic I saw on this site during the carbon tubular shootout. It really shows how they asctually look. Much better than my pics do.....

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
flying said:
I know what you mean Rocco
I was lucky & scored a brand new set off Ebay for 1350 shipped.
I figured the price was so good I had to give it a try.

That's one hell of a price.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
oneslowmofo said:
I've got a pair of Hyperons too and love them. However, I tend to switch the wheels between two different bike. The other bike has aluminum clinchers. Is it really necessary to switch the brake pads too? I've always heard that aluminum clinchers will imbed metal debris from the brake sidewall into the pad and if you switch to carbon rimmed braking surface the metal debris will wreck the carbon rims. Is this true? I've been switching the pads but it's a pain in the a$$.

Thanks.
yes it's PITA but you've gotta do it if you don't want wreck your $$$$ carbon wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts