Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New wheels ready to go. [0]

Now, all I need is the frame. And that should be coming soon!

[h1]wanna see it bigger? click it![/h1]

Eno eccentric rear hub, Mavic 501 front. Wheelsmith 14/15 spokes, laced 3x. Black Brass nipples from DT, and black Velocity Aeroheat rims, 32°. Both of these hubs are super smooth and buttery, spinning forever in my hands. I can't wait to get them out on the road and get 'em dirty!

The frame they'll be going on is a Kona Jake the Snake scandium and a matching P2 fork. Onza Ho canti's, pulled by Shimano levers, an old Ringle stem and a Titec Ti post. Stronglight cranks too. I'm hoping for something in the 19-20 lb range after all is said and done. Can't wait!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
unclefuzzy_ss said:
Eno eccentric rear hub, Mavic 501 front. Wheelsmith 14/15 spokes, laced 3x. Black Brass nipples from DT, and black Velocity Aeroheat rims, 32°. Both of these hubs are super smooth and buttery, spinning forever in my hands. I can't wait to get them out on the road and get 'em dirty!
How much were the wheels?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
eno

with that hub I'll assume yer going SS. Aeroheat? are those the tubs? if so what are the tires, they look huge!

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gripped said:
How much were the wheels?
Umm not much actually. I built them myself(I LOVE building wheels, this was my 50th set), so that cost wasnt' there. Bought the 501 off of ebay for $20 or so. The rear hub I traded a Fixed Dura ace rear wheel for, so there really wasn't a cost there. I did buy the rims, but I had anice tie in at my LBS and got them and the spokes for cost. I'd say total outlay was $100.

marty

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
atpjunkie said:
with that hub I'll assume yer going SS. Aeroheat? are those the tubs? if so what are the tires, they look huge!
Yep, I'm a SSaholic. I love the simplicity. It's harder, especailly in cross, but the bike is SOOO much lighter! Not tubies. Standard clinchers here. I've got too many clincher tires to justify a tubie set of wheels. The tires mounted are Ritchey MountCross 38c's. I've also got a 42c Ritchey, a set of Michelin Muds, Specailized tri-cross and others I can't think of. I'm a tire ***** too.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
$100???

unclefuzzy_ss said:
Umm not much actually. I built them myself(I LOVE building wheels, this was my 50th set), so that cost wasnt' there. Bought the 501 off of ebay for $20 or so. The rear hub I traded a Fixed Dura ace rear wheel for, so there really wasn't a cost there. I did buy the rims, but I had anice tie in at my LBS and got them and the spokes for cost. I'd say total outlay was $100.

marty
The aeroheats are about $40 each, spokes about $0.60 each, black brass nipples a dime each, and the Eno is about $150 which comes out to about $270. You got all that for $80? Does you "tie in at the LBS" involve weapons? Also the DA track hub is worth more than $100.

TF

·
Irregular poster
21 Posts
Nice set of wheels you got there. I have the same plans as you, a White Eno to ss the thing, only problem they send me the wrong ENO hub. I wanted the fixed/free eccentric but got a free only eccentric. So the wait is on the good hub, the other one will end up in my mtb.

I hope that my frame/fork will show up today at my shop. Then I can hold it tomorrow and do nothing for a while :( , cause of the little problem mentioned above.

My setup will consist of a Kinesis Crosslight Pro 2, matching fork, Thomson stem and post, Spooky brakes, Ritchey bar, Shimao levers and tektro topmounts, Eno/DT/Open Pro wheels. Front hub will problably be a Ultegra one. Final build will be in 7.5 to 8.5 kilo's (yes I'm one of those metric types), depending on the set up, cx or road.

I want to see pics of finished bike, please post pics when it's ready. I will post pics as soon as I got the bike build.

cheers
Richard

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TurboTurtle said:
The aeroheats are about $40 each, spokes about $0.60 each, black brass nipples a dime each, and the Eno is about $150 which comes out to about $270. You got all that for $80? Does you "tie in at the LBS" involve weapons? Also the DA track hub is worth more than $100.

TF

Yup. $40 for one rim, $28 for the other, spokes were roughly $0.25 each, and the Eno I count as a trade since the DA fixxie hub was on a bike I bought at one point(Biekswap trade last fall). Trust me, no wepons were used in this transfer of goods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts