Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I got home today and there was a box on my front porch!
I contacted Eric @ Ergott wheels back in Feb. about building me a set of wheels, we decided on a nice, strong, aluminum clincher set using Tune hubs. While waiting for the Tune hubs to arrive I made a little money and that got me to thinking "carbon clincher". I spoke to Eric about using the Tune hubs a getting some carbon hoops. He suggested Reynolds MV32C's. After watching Paris-Roubaix and team Slipstream's use of Zipp 303 fronts and 404 rears (I ride a Felt) I inquired about building a mixed set with MV32C front and DV46C rear. Eric said sure we can do that. We had planned all along to build 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear as I weigh 180-185. The complete specifications of the wheels are as follows:

Reynolds MV32C with Tune Mig 70 hub, 24 spoke Sapim CX-Rays, radial laced, alloy nipples & Veloplugs.

Reynolds DV46C with Tune Mag 180 hub, 28 spoke Sapim CX-Rays, laced 3x drive, 2x non-drive, alloy nipples & Veloplugs.

Total weight came in a 1412 grams. That is only 12 grams more than Reynolds specifies for it's MV32C set which is 20 / 24 spoke pattern and not a 24 / 28 plus the added weight of the DV46C rear!

They were several hundred dollars less than buying a set of MV32C's. Sure I did not get Reynolds tire levers, spoke tool and brake pads ;-). (I will be using swiss stop yellows.)

Mounting the tires (Schwalbe Ultremos) was not difficult, needed a little help on the MV32 but the DV46 went on with my fingers.

The Ultremos are a skinny tire! There a about 2mm narrower than my Pro Race3's I am currently running. Yes that is measured on different rims but the Ultremo are noticably skinny.

I have them on the bike already but is pouring rain outside and new greasy tires in the rain is not how I want to test my new wheels! Lets hope for a sunny day tomorrow.

Eric took the below pictures before mailing.

These I just took in my basement. I took off the stickers as they were a bit flashy for my tastes. I just weighed the ball of stickers and they we 14 grams so now they are a sub 1400 gram wheel set (1398) heehee :)

I will update this thread with my thought as soon as I get to ride them.

Erik

·
Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
You did a great job on that wheel build. Your bike looks nice too. Go Slipstream! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just got a PT wheel build from Eric last week. All black 24 hole PT hub, Kinlin 27mm rim, sapim CXray spokes. I too am very pleased.

I should have ordered a front build too with the Tune hub (nice choice!), but ran out of funds. My campy Neutron rim is showing stress lines after only 34,000 miles ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**Ride Report**

Jumped on the bike about 11:45 am this morning and took it for a spin. Rolls great, freehub not to noisy. Absolutely no noticable twist to the wheels when hammering out of the saddle.

About 30 minutes into the ride I started to hear a creaking sound. "Oh crap" I thought. I had read online about other having creaking problems with Tune Mag rear hubs. It only made the noise when peddeling at a medium speed. It did not do it when freewheeling / coasting or when sprinting, climbing out of the saddle.

I stopped several times to check everything like seat post, QR's, brakes etc. No dice. So after 22 miles I road it home and sent an email to Eric at Ergott.

While waiting for him to reply I disassembled the hub, greased everthing up nicely, put it back to gether, installed the cassette, torqued that and went out for another ride before he had a chance to reply.

Not a squeak! Worked like a charm. Another 21 miles of trying to get it to make the noise and I could not.

I have noticed now that there is a little extra play in the front hub, which I have since tighten slightly. I think it comes down to once you get a few miles on the parts they need a re adjustment and hopefully all will be good from here.

Here are the 2 surprising things about these wheels.

1) It was very windy today and these seem to be effected less in cross winds than the shallower depth Ritchey Protocols that I was riding. Could it be that the CX-Rays are like toothpicks compared to the bladed spokes on the Ritcheys? It is the only answer I have, but I am now not afraid to ride them on windy days!

2) The braking with Swiss Stop Yellow is really good. I am even using KCNC Road Brakes which are a little flexy and I weigh 180-185 and have no problem stopping quickly and without any squeal.

Also the Ultremos performed nicely @ 43 mile and not a hint of a cut anywhere. The mold seam is barely worn off the rear and still there on the front. Time will tell.

Am I any faster? I dont know.... I am happy and smiling? Yes. Do I want to go and ride some more? Yes. It was the right purchase for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a thought on the cross wind / spoke theroy.

CX-Rays are .090" X 24 and 28 spoke count = 2.16" and 2.6" total spoke width per wheel.

Ritchey spokes are .130" X 20 and 24 spoke count = 2.6" and 3.12" total spoke width per wheels.

The Ritcheys have a larger spoke area by 17% and 18% per wheel.

So although a wheel may have a lower spoke count the total area of the spoke that can be effected by crosswinds may actually be greater than a wheel with more but thinner spokes.

I know it a pretty broad generalization as spoke length is not calucualted in, but I though it was interesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.