Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1409 Grams, Nobium 30 rims with sapim cx-ray spokes and white ind hubs.
I think Ron @ White Mountain Wheels did a great job.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi gradosu,
I played mostly for Fresno Rugby Club up to 2001, But at age 40 after 20+ years it was time to hang it up. Now just an old boy game here and there. Keep playing as long as you can because I definitely miss it. 8 is kind of the best of both worlds. You get to mix it up with the piggies and usually enough speed to do some damage with the backs.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
I have no idea what you just said, but I like the way your wheels turned out! That build seems to be very popular as a Ksyrium-killer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rugby11 said:
1409 Grams, Nobium 30 rims with sapim cx-ray spokes and white ind hubs.
I think Ron @ White Mountain Wheels did a great job.
What's your bodyweight and will the wheels be used for all sorts of riding or just for racing?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rugby11 said:
About 165 lbs, They are for all kinds of riding. I live within 2 to 3 miles of where the mountains begin and within 30 you can be at 5000 ft elevation starting from 360. No racing . but maybe next year my friends and I are considering the "Climb to Kaiser". http://www.fresnocycling.com/kaiser/2007/
Thanks. I was looking at your spoke counts (front and rear) and was wondering your bodyweight and usage. I'm looking into getting custom wheels and I'm doing the research now on what I want (or would like) and what is suitable for my purposes and bodyweight.

·
Registered
301 Posts
dave99ag said:
I'm 6'3" at 160-165 and that was the build recommended to me for an all-around wheelset.
I keep forgetting how light most cylists are. I lift weights in the winter and hover around 200lbs (5'11"). I'm down to 190lbs now from all the cycling and expect to see 185lbs by Sept. But come spring next year I may be around 200 again so I need wheels that can handle that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S3 steel in 58cm compact , with pedals about 17 using the bathroom scale, I could save more weight with a new seat and speedplay pedals. The Thomson stem and seatpost are keepers While not the lightest the quality is top notch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rugby11 said:
S3 steel in 58cm compact , with pedals about 17 using the bathroom scale, I could save more weight with a new seat and speedplay pedals. The Thomson stem and seatpost are keepers While not the lightest the quality is top notch.
What wheels/tires did you have before? How much lighter are these new ones? Have you ridden on the new ones and do you feel any difference? If so what? Just trying to guage the improvement in components.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was riding Rol sl28's that came in at 1710 grams so I have saved over 300 grams. Thats a pretty big drop. I spun the wheels after I took the Rols off and the Customs were smoother and spun longer. It seems that they have more snap when I crank it up. The cx ray spokes are smaller than the Rols so it seems more stable in the croswind. The attention to detail in the build is evident. Ron's service is great, upfront on price and time estimates..basically did and he said he was going to do and beat the targeted delivery time. So I guess what I am saying is the price vs gram saving and upgrade in quality make it very worth it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rugby11 said:
I was riding Rol sl28's that came in at 1710 grams so I have saved over 300 grams. Thats a pretty big drop. I spun the wheels after I took the Rols off and the Customs were smoother and spun longer. It seems that they have more snap when I crank it up. The cx ray spokes are smaller than the Rols so it seems more stable in the croswind. The attention to detail in the build is evident. Ron's service is great, upfront on price and time estimates..basically did and he said he was going to do and beat the targeted delivery time. So I guess what I am saying is the price vs gram saving and upgrade in quality make it very worth it.
Thanks. It's great that they roll and spin better than your previous ones. How long did you wait from start to finish of the build? Did you go with his recommendations or were there things you wanted to have?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rol vs. your new wheels

Rugby11 said:
It is cool to hear how the new wheels work, but is it a fair comparison? Wouldn't the Rol Race SL be closer in weight and build? Not saying, just asking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only item I knew I wanted was White Ind hubs other than that I went with Ron's recommendation. The time frame was quoted as 3 and ended up at about 2 weeks.Oh yeah color was my choice as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Probably the Rol D`Huez is a better comp. but the sl28is the only comp. I could make. I liked the sl28's they were much better that the Bontrager selects they replaced. The Bontragers needed truing about once a year and the SL28 are a true as the day they arrived. but dropping that much weight and spending as much time in the hills riding, it was time to upgrade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts