Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to build a new set of wheels but curios as to what direction to take. either 32 hole with straight spokes, brass nipples on a medium wieght rim, open pro being the lightest in this category. Or 36 hole with straight spokes, alloy nipples on a lighter rim, (not sure which yet any suggestions are welcome.) i weigh 73kg and like stiff, responsive wheels that are reliable. having trouble on my decision so any suggetions would be excellent. i'm a non racer that does about 200 km per week. i have a set of dt swiss rr 1.1 on record 32 hole hubs which aren't too bad with straight spokes. if i could stiffen up my ride with the wheels on top of what i have would be better. they are on a ti frame with horizontal top tube so very comfortable already. please, any suggestions throw 'em my way.:)

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
First suggestion

tidi said:
i am going to build a new set of wheels but curios as to what direction to take. either 32 hole with straight spokes, brass nipples on a medium wieght rim, open pro being the lightest in this category. Or 36 hole with straight spokes, alloy nipples on a lighter rim, (not sure which yet any suggestions are welcome.) i weigh 73kg and like stiff, responsive wheels that are reliable. having trouble on my decision so any suggetions would be excellent. i'm a non racer that does about 200 km per week. i have a set of dt swiss rr 1.1 on record 32 hole hubs which aren't too bad with straight spokes. if i could stiffen up my ride with the wheels on top of what i have would be better. they are on a ti frame with horizontal top tube so very comfortable already. please, any suggestions throw 'em my way.:)
First suggestion would be to post this in the Wheels and Tires forum.

The only reason to use straight gauge spokes is to save money, as they don't build as good a wheel as butted. Alloy nipples? There have been many reports of corrosion/seizing problems, as well as nipples rounding off easily, but some people love them. At your weight, 32 spoke should be fine. Stiff wheels are about flange width and spoke count.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.