Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to buy some new clincher road wheels in the $500 range. I'm looking for a pair to train and race on and also with sealed hubs for reduced maintenance. Recommendations? I should also mention I am on the heavy side (190 lbs).

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
You should also mention

Wiaruz said:
I've decided to buy some new clincher road wheels in the $500 range. I'm looking for a pair to train and race on and also with sealed hubs for reduced maintenance. Recommendations? I should also mention I am on the heavy side (190 lbs).
if you have shimano or campy.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm 210 lbs and wanted light weight wheels that didn't break the bank. I got some Velocity Areohead wheels with titanium spokes. I needed a higher spoke count because of my weight and the spokes solved that. I paid $375 and they weigh 1515 grams. They have Velocity branded hubs that are made by Formula for them.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
I have a set of Protons.

They are very nice. I bought them used on ebay for $200 and have never had a problem with them. I know some other people that have put mad trouble-free miles on them as well. They would make great all-round wheels!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you find the campag hubs? I have not been pleased with my current Chorus ones. Even when re-packed the cones never run nice and sliky. I think I want to try some sealed units.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
if your chorus hubs don´t run smooth after repacking them, then you´re doing something wrong! if you haven´t got a lot of experience in repacking hubs, take them to someone who has and they should be able to get them running well.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Alright

Wiaruz said:
How do you find the campag hubs? I have not been pleased with my current Chorus ones. Even when re-packed the cones never run nice and sliky. I think I want to try some sealed units.
Not a "sealed" cartridge bearing. Personally I like them better. I have more problems with my wheels that have cartridge bearings. The Protons use a Chorus based hub with the adjustable type bearings.You might want to get something else if you did not like that style of bearings.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Bearing type

Wiaruz said:
and also with sealed hubs for reduced maintenance.
You should understand that cartridge bearings are not the only "sealed" bearings out there. You can seal a beaing system with labyrinth seals, which is what Campy does. You may find that a Campy hub resists water and dirt penetration just as well as many cartridge bearing hubs. To your request, a good builder can put together an excellent set of wheels for less than your price point based on Record or Chorus hubs, Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC, MAVIC OP, or DT rims and 15/16 spokes that will serve you well and meet your targets.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The corollary

Kerry Irons said:
You should understand that cartridge bearings are not the only "sealed" bearings out there. You can seal a beaing system with labyrinth seals, which is what Campy does. You may find that a Campy hub resists water and dirt penetration just as well as many cartridge bearing hubs. To your request, a good builder can put together an excellent set of wheels for less than your price point based on Record or Chorus hubs, Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC, MAVIC OP, or DT rims and 15/16 spokes that will serve you well and meet your targets.
Not all cartridge bearing hubs are sealed in the sense that they actually do a good job of keeping water out. My Bianchi Pista has a set of wheels with generic Bianchi hubs with cartridge bearings and no supplementary seals. The bearings are visible from the outside of the hub. I disassemble the hubs every so often and peel off the bearing seal with a razor blade to pump out the dirty grease. A set of mountain wheels I own with Shimano XT hubs haven't been overhauled since I got them 4 years ago (ridden through lots of nasty mud and such). The labyrinth seals on Shimano's higher-end hubs work pretty well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wiaruz said:
Ligero Wheels or Odds and Endos. Call, discuss, get wheels, be happy. If you have a local wheelbuilder you trust that's even better. If you want cartridge bearings you could pick the new White Industries or DT240 hubs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts