Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Eddy 53:11
Joined
·
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm FINALLY replacing my 27 yr. old Anderson Windows with new Andersons Windows.
I'm excited. Sad.
If you would have told me 20 years ago that new windows would one day excite me, I've
have told you to piss-off and I'd have taken the money and bought H&B.
 

·
Ricardo Cabeza
Joined
·
19,731 Posts
ha ha, I'm laughing at you, old guy :p :)
 

·
half-fast
Joined
·
7,377 Posts
20 year younger you probably wasn't much on washing windows, either. Tip in is pretty nifty, says the old house dweller.
 

·
hello
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
I think I'll be dead before any of my windows need replacing.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
my windows

(well most) are over 85 years old
I have to pull the ones that were put in in the 70s and do a retro restore
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
I've heard that the Mac OS is better than Windows.
 

·
Adventure Seeker
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
My house has its original windows from '63. They definitely need replacing, but I've heard that doing that with a brick outside house is very expensive. I figure I'll do them one or two at a time, starting with the big ones up front, and do the back later.
 

·
Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
36,551 Posts
I've heard that Windows is insecure.
.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
460 Posts
Peanya said:
My house has its original windows from '63. They definitely need replacing, but I've heard that doing that with a brick outside house is very expensive. I figure I'll do them one or two at a time, starting with the big ones up front, and do the back later.
Incorrect. Pull of interior trim. Strip caulk on the exterior around wood trim/brick mould. Use sawz-all between window jamb and dry wall from the interior (cuts the nails).

OR

Just buy a replacement window - reuse existing jambs and put new windows in. Pretty easy actually.
 

·
I like waterboarding...
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
97G8tr said:
Incorrect. Pull of interior trim. Strip caulk on the exterior around wood trim/brick mould. Use sawz-all between window jamb and dry wall from the interior (cuts the nails).

OR

Just buy a replacement window - reuse existing jambs and put new windows in. Pretty easy actually.
I've seen it done in a similar fashion.

They use a small torch and heat the glass at its edges to remove from the metal frame (melt glue). Then use a sawzall to cut the side nails between the frame and use a pry bar to remove the nails in the top and bottom of the frame. Basically colapse the frame in on itself. No broken glass and its a nice little mangled window for the recycling.

Easy peasy. I've got on my list to start replacing my windows before winter gets here. They are 40 years old...
 

·
25.806975801127
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
I got new windows about 3 years ago. I installed all of them, so none of them are actually installed properly. None of them leak, though.

It took me a long, long time to decide to replace my old windows with new replacements (Pella custom)... my old windows were the originals from 1838. Sadly, they were completely destroyed.

Edit:

Here's a shot of my house that shows the difference. The windows under the porch were still in near-perfect condition, so they stayed. They're 2-over-2 hand-built windows. The new Pella replacements are on top.

 

·
Get me to In&Out
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
I love our windows on the house we have in Germany. They are hinged on the verticals and split in the middle. If you rotate the handle 180 degrees, they tilt in for venting about 10 degrees. If you rotate the handle 90 degrees, they swing full open. Very cool indeed.

 

·
I like waterboarding...
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
This thread makes brings me back to when i bought our last "expensive" vacuum. First i used our old one to do the whole house. Then I immediately followed up with the new one. I was blown away at home much crap was in the new vacuum canister. I was running around showing the wife, "CHECK THIS OUT"

:lol: men....
 

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
PlatyPius said:
I installed all of them, so none of them are actually installed properly. None of them leak, though.
If none of them leak, then they are installed properly
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top