Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have several high end road bikes that are built completely custom. I buy the frame and then spec every part myself; right down to the spoke nipples. I am about to take delivery on a beautiful Ellis lugged steel road frame. (http://www.elliscycles.com/)

My question is: At what shop in NYC should I have the bike assembled? I have all of the parts (Camply Chorus, Thomson stem and post, etc.) I just need a pro build. In the past, I've had Larry and Jeff's built two bikes, Sid's in Chelsea built one and Bicycle Renaissance built one. I didn't really have any problems at any of the shops; just your usual little annoyances. I think Larry and Jeff's building my first high end bike in 1994 was probably the best experience.

Are they still decent? Should I try someone new? Any suggestions? I see Larry's Second Avenue Bikes does very well among customer reviews on the internet. That's where I am currently leaning. I expect the frame in a week or two.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Many high-end bike owners I know swear by Conrad's in Tudor City. I have never tried them. As for other bike shops, I have tried many of them: both Sid's shops, most Metro shops, Renaissance, Habitat, etc. The only way to describe their service is hit and miss. I get good service and not-so-good service. Some of the mechanics I've known for years, yet still sometimes they do a half-arse job.

And, yes, I do bring them beer and tip them for a job well done. I just think the popular shops get very busy, and these guys rush through things sometimes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You sound fairly experienced - why don't you do it yourself? Frankly, I'm not that impressed with most NYC bike shops and I'm sure any of them will not be cheap. Except for building wheels it isn't really very difficult.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i agree, i have no problem tipping the guys well, but i KNOW the mechanics are rushing through it if they see a line forming in the service dept. Even a shop where i've purchased 5 bikes from still rushes through my service requests and sometimes does a "temp/quick fix."

How much does Mark Purdy charge for a bike build from scratch? And where can i find him?

·
Registered
654 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
i agree, i have no problem tipping the guys well, but i KNOW the mechanics are rushing through it if they see a line forming in the service dept. Even a shop where i've purchased 5 bikes from still rushes through my service requests and sometimes does a "temp/quick fix."

How much does Mark Purdy charge for a bike build from scratch? And where can i find him?
go to ifyxbyx.com. Mark's shop is on 37th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue in an office building. His prices are on the website - charges about $250 for a full bike build. Agree that's not cheap but any shop in NYC is going to charge at least $200 for a full build (I paid $225 at a local shop).

On the plus side, Mark works for himself and is the only mechanic. When you go to Mark, you know the only person working on your bike will be Mark. Check out nyvelocity.com and you will see articles concerning Mark.

Oh, and in terms of rushing, that does not happen with Mark. You will need to make an appointment. Mark generally leaves only Saturday open for walk ins. Because he is on the 6th floor of an office building, walk ins are all known customers.

If it sounds like I am pushing Mark, I am! He is an excellent mechanic and a great guy and I would like to see his business succeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.