Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to cycle from NYC to Cape Cod. I've never run into anyone that's done this so I haven't a clue whether it's realistically feasible (i.e. not ridiculously dangerous, etc). Does anyone know if it's do-able? And if it's do-able, any suggestions on where to look for already proven routes? Thank you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think it'd be very difficult. For the NY-RI portion, Route 1 (Post Road) would be the obvious choice, but it is very busy in Westchester, Fairfield and New Haven counties. I'd look at finding local roads that parallelled Route One - it'll take a lot of detailed maps, I bet.

The bridges over CT and RI rivers will be a problem. You can bike over the CT River in Old Saybrook, but not the Thames River in New London. If you can get to RI, you'd want to check whether you can cross the Jamestown and Newport Bridges. I don't think you can, so you'd have to go through Providence. I don't think you can ride over the Braga Bridge in Fall River either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks and I agree. An alternate route seems to entail going from NYC to the end of the train line in Long Island, riding to a ferry landing, crossing to CT, riding up the coast to another ferry landing, and then crossing to MV. But I have been told that it entails a few very hairy bridge crossings and having to dart across busy interstate highways. It can be done, but not for the faint of heart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.