Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm escaping the teeming sweaty cesspit that is Tokyo and I'm off to NZ for 18 days. My first trip to the Southern Hemisphere. I'll be staying in Auckland (3 days), Wellington (1 nt), Kaikoura (2 nts, I hope to see some whales/dolphins), Christchurch (2 days), Wakana/Queenstown (4 or 5 days), then back to North Island via Christchurch to possibly check out the Corromandel coastline. I've done a fair bit of research and I'm not into bungee or skydiving.
Anyone got any tips on 'must sees' or 'must do's' or 'must eats'. I'll be taking my D300 and a couple of lenses with me. Thanks muchly.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
sir duke said:
I'm escaping the teeming sweaty cesspit that is Tokyo and I'm off to NZ for 18 days. My first trip to the Southern Hemisphere. I'll be staying in Auckland (3 days), Wellington (1 nt), Kaikoura (2 nts, I hope to see some whales/dolphins), Christchurch (2 days), Wakana/Queenstown (4 or 5 days), then back to North Island via Christchurch to possibly check out the Corromandel coastline. I've done a fair bit of research and I'm not into bungee or skydiving.
Anyone got any tips on 'must sees' or 'must do's' or 'must eats'. I'll be taking my D300 and a couple of lenses with me. Thanks muchly.
My must-do would be kayaking in Kaiteriteri (locals just call it Kaiteri) and hiking in the Abel Tasman park there.

Otherwise, visit some vineyards on the Northern end of the South Island. Eat the green lip mussels every chance you get--so good.

We were there for just under two weeks, but a lot of our time got taken up by the WRC Championship round on the North Island and visiting family on the South Island. So the trip to Kaiteri, a day visit to Kaikoura (very quiet) and a hellish MTB ride on the Queen Charlotte Track were about our only "on our own" time.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Don't miss Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu .

And find a place with a dark sky and check out the Milky Way. It's spectacular from the southern hemisphere.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
learn to flyfish

and have at them
NZ has some of the best trout fishing in the world
go surf
go snowboard

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you had a great time. I'm there for the mussels, I hope to do some kayaking down in Wanaka, weather permitting. Very pleased to hear Kaikora is quiet. I need all the peace and tranquility I can get.

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that's a given.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
robwh9 said:
And find a place with a dark sky and check out the Milky Way. It's spectacular from the southern hemisphere.
Oh, right. We did some telescope stargazing with the family and it was completely amazing. So many features in the Southern sky that we never see in the Northern Hemisphere.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Milford Sound, bus in from QT stay the night dawn kayaking with Roscos and fly back. Usually penguins there. Getting to Kaiteri will take you a day from Kaikoura and Able Tasman another day, might mess up your scheduling a bit to scoot over there. West coast with the Glaciers is well worth a trip. Skip Wanaka and go straight to QT. The Dart River Safari is well worth the day and the Fun Yaks are just that. Remember it can still get pretty cold down south so take a good windproof raincoat. Lamb will all be frozen stuff so if you can get some good venison try that instead. Whitebait season just started so try that if you get the chance and of course in Christchurch treat yourself to http://www.restaurantschwass.com/home . You'll find something great there. Safe travels and take heaps of pictures.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Pack

My Own Private Idaho said:
You must see sheep while you are there.

some kilts and velcro mittens

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I hope you aren't there yet. Sounds like you may be taking pictures of power outages and earthquake damage. Sounds like major damage, hoping that everyone there is ok.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
VaughnA said:
I hope you aren't there yet. Sounds like you may be taking pictures of power outages and earthquake damage. Sounds like major damage, hoping that everyone there is ok.
Looking at the pictures of collapsed store fronts and downed electricity lines, if this was 4:30 pm instead of am there would have been multiple fatalities. Likewise, hope everyone is okay. My family are a bit North of here so should be.

·
Registered
614 Posts
you could visit the shire...sorry had to say that!!

Learn to say "Bro" at the end of every sentence.
For example:
Whats going on bro?
or Hey bro.
or That's choice bro.

Take some warm clothes as its winter...spring down this end atm.

Jet boats are wicked as well as jumping off perectly good bridges with some cord round your ankles.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Just say sweet-as bro. And you'll fit right in.

They really do say so much of that sometimes that I cringe at times.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
My uncle, who's a professional diver and has been just about everywhere, says his best diving trip was to New Zealand. Though I don't know how tough it would be to take a lesson, rent gear and boat would be so maybe snorkeling would be the ticket.

I've not been there myself but from what I understand it's not they type of place you'd go for the cities but the nature and scenery is outstanding.

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
VaughnA said:
I'm just about to board at Narita. I won't be in C/church until the 13th. checked with my hotel and it's OK and open for business. a little ironic that I'm flying from Japan to a country that's just experienced a pretty nasty quake. No fatalities as far as I know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts