Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Eddy 53:11
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a ride appx. 20 miles long leaving from the Courtyard off of I-95
and Churchman's Road (near the mall). I've been there plently of times and I find it hard
to get out and find a safe ride around there. Any help where I can go? Regards!

·
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crossracer, even if it's a 10 mile loop I can do twice, that would be good also.
I'll be there for five days every five months so, I need something other than riding
rollers in the hotel room.

That area of DE is very scary when it comes to hunting routes. Map My Ride doesn't
help much since some roads looks fine then you find out it's a freaking highway . . . . "thanks"

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Ok, here u go. I live on the other side of 95 from where you are, so im about a 1/2 mile difference from where you are. If you want to ride let me know, maybe we can get together and go ride. This is about the safest route out of the area, mostly it has wide shoulder the whole way. The route has a couple of great roads and some vetical walls in it. Hope you like it.
Bill

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/de/newark de./998128437902438507

·
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't thank you enough crossracer. I don't know my schedule yet but, I'll
try for a ride in there somewhere. Thanks for possibly saving my life!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
It all depends on what time you are riding. If its at 6 pm or there abouts then the traffic will be alot worse. If its during the day you should be fine. .
Bill

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you can transport your bike 10 or 15 miles, then start your ride, you would be in much better shape. Maybe ride around Pike Creek, Hockeesin, Centerville, Greeenville and into PA or MD on back roads towards Somerset Lake or other remote areas. Also riding around the University of Delaware in the City of Newark can be fun....and if you have a MTB there are miles and hours of single track around White Clay Creek.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Co-worker of crossracer here.

You can get out pretty easily. Just have to make a left at the light coming out of the parking lot. I work over right by the hotel you will be staying at and ride in. Once you get approx 2-3 miles away from that intersection, you have pretty clear riding.

·
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K., thanks for the map my ride route crossracer. The first time I did this ride it was 5ish pm
and had the sun in my face (read drivers). A bit scary as I expected. I could not find the one turn off so,
I managed to ride 35 miles looking for it. No worries there.

However, the second day, I FOUND the smooth Paris Roubaix like path in the woods on Thompson Station Road!
It was hard to see since it was half covered with leaves and I just assumed it was a dirt trail in the foerst since the road was closed.
OOPS.

I have a new(er) respect for you all around there. The roads (besides very aggressive drivers)
are rough surfaced with some gravel mixed it hear and there.

Thanks for the route, I'll be riding it twice a year for quite a while. Except in Feb when I'll be riding rollers in my hotel room!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yikes. Thompson Station Road
I avoid that road on my bike due to it's higher car volume/speed and no shoulder, at least the first half at the top near the gas station.
But you are headed in the right direction once you get back there and the traffic thins. MTB trails abound off to your right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts