Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little back round. I have been riding a road bike since 2001.I am a big guy at 6'2" and 260lbs. Last year I didnt ride my old 1999 Specialized S-works. I rode my mt. bike. This year I am riding the specialized again. I have wanted to buy a newer bike that it carbon as I figured that it would be a plusher ride. So here are some of my questions. Need some experienced advice.

I bought a ebay chinese carbon frame.

1. What groupset should I buy. Campagnolo, Shimano, or SRAM? I live in a hilly area and don't climb the greatest cuz of my weight. I want a Campy Chorus but they dont have a triple? If I get a double do I want the 11-25 cassette?

2. what length crank should I have? My inseam is a 34and the bike frame is a 58cm. Not sure what my current bike has. Do i need the 172.5?

3. I need a 31.6mm seatpost and a 34.9 seatpost clamp. What would you recomend? I was thinking a thompson clamp?

4. the cockpit (on the Spec.) seems more stretched out than I remember. Should I get a shorter stem? what length should I get? Any rec. on a stem? It will attach to a 44cm S-works carbon bar I got a deal on.

5. Should I use carbon "prep" paste? if so what brand?

6. Any rec. on some "aero" wheels. I like the zippmaxs but I dont want to spend more than 1,500.00. eastons?

7. what online store has the best prices on campy grouppo's?

I cant remember my other questions, but these are probably enough. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow..thanks for all the feedback. amfoto especially great post. I have an ultegra double right now. I seem to have to stand in the saddle for the steeper stuff. Do you count the teeth to find out what size cassette you have on a bike? That was never clear to me :D.

I realize that piecing a group together would be cheaper if I wait for the right prices but I will probably get a grouppo cuz its simpler and easier. Still

Alright anyone else have a wheelset recomendation? I guess any wheelset that would be good. I don't need it to be aero. My current wheelset are mavic heliums.

I agree on the professional fit. But I live in ND and I don't know of any available. The LBS might help but don't want to do that since I'm not really buying anything from them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.