Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding a Felt Z35 with the stock Mavic CXP 22S rims and Felt Hubs. I bought the bike 2nd hand and have pretty much upgraded everything else since buying it. The previous owner was a pretty big guy and I feel like the wheelset has taken a beating.

I was just looking on the BWW website at the Blackset Race Ten Wheel Set that they have on sale for $329.00. Could someone tell me if this would be a significant upgrade? They also have the option of building your own wheelset. Could I build a better set for about the same price? Thats about all the money I have to spend at the moment.

Any other suggestions in that price range?

I am about 180 lbs, 5'10. I ride recreationally, I try to do about 100 miles a week. Typically in 20-30 mile rides. I ride at about an 18.8 mph avg. I thought a little background on my riding habits and size may help with any suggestions.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was looking on the Neuvation site as well and thought about the R28XAero's also.

No opinions or suggestions on these wheel sets or others?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
If the components aren't damaged, just ride the wheels you have. I'd be surprised if you got much more performance out of something else.

If you're worried about the wheels, give them a spin and see if they're true, and pull them out of the bike and check the hubs.

If they're in good shape, use the money you saved to treat yourself to some nice tires. That makes a pretty big difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hokiesean24 said:
I am riding a Felt Z35 with the stock Mavic CXP 22S rims and Felt Hubs. I bought the bike 2nd hand and have pretty much upgraded everything else since buying it. The previous owner was a pretty big guy and I feel like the wheelset has taken a beating.

I was just looking on the BWW website at the Blackset Race Ten Wheel Set that they have on sale for $329.00. Could someone tell me if this would be a significant upgrade? They also have the option of building your own wheelset. Could I build a better set for about the same price? Thats about all the money I have to spend at the moment.

Any other suggestions in that price range?

I am about 180 lbs, 5'10. I ride recreationally, I try to do about 100 miles a week. Typically in 20-30 mile rides. I ride at about an 18.8 mph avg. I thought a little background on my riding habits and size may help with any suggestions.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

The Blackset Race Ten is a great wheelset - and at $329, they are going to be tough to beat. Just get em. Keep your old wheels for crap weather days.

You could also do an Ultegra/Velocity Aerohead build for approx the same price. Would be a little heavier than the Blackset, but they would ride light and the Ultegra hubs seem to last forever.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
180 isn't really heavy or anything but I'd ask BWW's opinion on that you weight on such light rims. Probably fine with enough spokes but I'd double check with someone who knows (I don't) especially if the roads you ride are rough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts