Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a budget and looking to get a decent used road bike. I am looking at a Cannodale R400. The guy is asking $400. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal on this bike? I am posting a link where you can view! Please, any input would be greatly appreciated. I am figuring i will ride around 20 - 50 miles a week during spring/summer/fall. Would this R400 suffice?

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/bik/1101590213.html

Thanks!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
IMO the only way a newb should be looking at used bikes is if the seller is willing to let you take the bike to a LBS for a fitting and once over by the mechanic. This way, you'll have an idea if it's the right size for you and is a good bet mechanically. You'll have to pay for the service, but look at it this way. If you buy an ill fitting bike, you'll waste a lot more $$ than if you go this route.

If you can stretch your budget a couple of hundred (less w/ a discount) you can consider this Jamis (but there are other brands/ models as well) and this way you'll get a fitting and a new bike.
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/ventura/09_venturasport_spec.html

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I think used is the way to go. As stated before so long as the bike fits you can let somebody else take the beating on depreciation. Just make sure you educate yourself on what you are looking at or take it to a shop and have it checked over.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You have nowhere near enough info about this bike! It is an old (threaded headset) Cannondale (quality manufacturer) with very upright seat stays, they join the chainstays before the dropouts. I have read that this design produced a harsh ride and is no longer in favour.
What the ad tells you is that the seller is telling you nothing about the bike in terms of its age, past use, componentry (other than some has been changed) or previous ownership. Its either a very poor ad or the seller doesn't know. I wouldn't waste much time on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the response! That is the kind of info i was hoping to get back. I dont want to put a lot of money into the road bike simply because i dont know how much i will ride. I have a nice gary fisher mtn bike, i just wanted to try the road for a change. I dont know anything about road bikes!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I'm a used-bike fan and sort of a Cannondale fan (I have one, and it's fine, but I prefer steel), but the other posts have already pointed out some potential problems here.
The threaded headset isn't one of them--they work fine, last forever (two of mine are over 15,000 miles with no attention ever) and make raising and lowering the handlebars a 10-second operation. The comments about the geometry of the bike are accurate, though--it's upright and stiff, and the saddle is very high in relation to the handlebars, which isn't going to be comfortable for a long time, if ever (it requires flexibility, frequency and dedication to make your body work in that position). You may be smaller than the previous owner, and in that case you'd lower the seat and bring things into line a little, but as it is, it's likely to be hard to get used to.
The description is all but meaningless ("Shimano components" could mean anything from cheap Sora to DuraAce), and seems to imply a parts swap (how come there's "fairly new" stuff on an old frame? That's not necessarily bad, but it raises a question. You don't know what it was or how well it was installed).And it's a racing bike, or at least a wannabe racer, so it will be less well-suited to most other types of riding. From what I can see in the picture, for instance, it may be geared high, which is what you want for racing but not for riding around town. Again, that's not bad if that's what you want, but if it isn't, you won't be happy.
Finally, I don't keep track of prices very closely, but $400 seems high to me. I could be wrong about that, though.
Don't misunderstand--it's not a bad bike. Cannondale's a reputable brand, and the 400 was a bargain in its day. But it is sort of a specialized one, and it might not be what you need for the riding you've described.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'd check on what "newer Shimano components" really are, 1st.
2nd, Corey is right. I owned a C-dale 400 series frame. Light, stiff, but not a great frame to spend hrs on. $400 is a bit much, esp if the components aren't 105 or better. (Ultegra or Dura Ace, which i highly doubt.). Also, are they 7, 8, or 9sp shifters?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts