Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I just started riding again (second half of life) last year. I bought a Cannondale Synapse 6. Seems like a pretty good bike. I ride 2 to 3 times a week and longest so far is 40 miles. The bike has tiagra components and shimano wheels. As time goes on, should I consider upgrading this bike and what upgrades do you recommend or should I just continue to ride it for a few years and upgrade to a better bike?
Also, what is the difference between the Cadd9 bikes and the synapse.
I am 50 years old. 6 ft tall and 240 lbs. cycling has really helped me physically as when I started a year ago, I was 286lbs.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'd just wait and upgrade to a whole new bike, possibly a higher end Synapse. At your age and size, the synapse is the way to go. The CAAD 9 is a pure race bike, and the positioning is not as comfortable as a synapse. I'm 48 and overweight and the newer comfort bikes like the synapse are perfect for me. Even if I was thin and very fit, at my age the higher positioning of a synapse is simply a better fit.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
honestly, you can upgrade that bike. drivetrain to 105 and better wheels. but you would probably get a better return on your investment by getting a new bike and keeping that as a rain bike.

also, i think the synapse has carbon in it, right? the CAAD line of frames are all AL. and race-oriented. it makes it a bit stiffer, and over the long haul that may not be what you are after. the best thing is, when the time comes, to go out and try some on for size.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this is all good advise. thank you.
I actually like this bike and as far as the bike goes in re: to shifting, performance and comfort,,,, I really have no complaints. I do think however that I will possibly upgrade the saddle (suggestions welcome) and some new pedals and shoes as the ones I am using came off of my mountain bike. Other than that, I think that I will just ride it hard another year and then possibly upgrade to another bike. My rides are typically 20 to 40 miles with varying elevation changes and I maintain avg. speed of 17 mph. My goal is to get to 100miles this year. We'll see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts