Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Easton EA90 sl wheelset ($399 at hi-tec bikes!) and I ordered a new pair of vittoria rubino pro's to go along with them (have been using this tire for a while and I like it so I figured I'd stick with it).

Easton's site give the rim width as 20mm, so I (not knowing anything) ordered the 700x20 rubino pro's. They sent me 700x23's. So 2 questions:
1) Are the EA90 sl's compatible with 700x23 tires; and
2) if they are, should I keep the 700x23's rather than exchanging them for 700x20's (it seems 700x23 is the preferred size)?

Just an FYI, I'm a 187 lbs rider.

· Registered
797 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but, I don't think the wider will be a problem as long as they don't rub forks, frame, or breaks...
Again, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 20's cost a bit more? So if that's what you ponyed up for, then that's what you should get. (or get the difence back)

The 20's should be a bit quicker off the line, and down the strights.
The 23's should be a bit stickyer in the twisties, and have a softer ride.

Would the difence in the 2 be signifigant enough for a "newbie" to notice? I guessing, no~

· Registered
2,286 Posts
ignore that, u should be on 23mm tires... 20mm is for aero mostly on the front and/or for lighter riders... they run a higher reccy pressure and thus would be unsuitable for u at 190lbs...

if u paid more for 20s that could be another thing, but that is not the norm IIRC...

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
envirocrat said:
I just bought a new Easton EA90 sl wheelset ($399 at hi-tec bikes!) and I ordered a new pair of vittoria rubino pro's to go along with them (have been using this tire for a while and I like it so I figured I'd stick with it).

Easton's site give the rim width as 20mm, so I (not knowing anything) ordered the 700x20 rubino pro's. They sent me 700x23's. So 2 questions:
1) Are the EA90 sl's compatible with 700x23 tires; and
2) if they are, should I keep the 700x23's rather than exchanging them for 700x20's (it seems 700x23 is the preferred size)?

Just an FYI, I'm a 187 lbs rider.
At that weight, you'd probably be better served by 25's, but 23's are OK. 20's are right out.

And yes, they're perfectly compatible all the way through to 28 or so, and probably a bit wider (though they'd likely not fit your bike.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.