Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a long time road cyclist building my first SS, for my daily commute to work (25 mile roundtrip, all flat) and for fun rides with my racing friends on the flats. I wanted something upright, so I chose a Soul Cycle Dillinger aluminum frame (a 29er), and have been selecting suitable components to keep the bike light and responsive.

I'd like to get some advice on a suitable crankset and gearing. Fortunately my budget now exceeds that of a bike messanger, so I am not extremely price constrained. What sort of gearing do experienced SS riders like? I"d also like some advice on specific cranksets, chainrings, and BBs. I've been looking around the SS mountain bike forums, but the chainrings are generally smaller than I'd like (32-34 teeth).

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

· Registered
1,006 Posts
mscmsc said:
What sort of gearing do experienced SS riders like?
Ride your commuter routes on a road bike and try to find a gear you're comfortable in for the majority of the ride, and figure out its gear inches. Visit the late Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to see what cog/ring combinations yield the gear inches you want and then shop for a chainring and cog. Many commuters settle on a gear in the 64 - 74 inch range.

Best,
Joe

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

· Registered
868 Posts
Mark I converted a Cannondale Bad Boy to a single speed and used the White Industries Crank with 44 teeth. When you start going larger in the ring size there is the problem of the ring hitting your chainstay, which means a longer bottom bracket axle is need. This in turn throws out your chainline, which Sheldon Brown talks about. The 44 tooth worked fine for me and I put on an 18 tooth freewheel on the rear. I could probably use a 17 tooth but until this one dies, this is the way it is going to stay. It is my rain/winter bike after all.

The bottom bracket I used was a reliable square tapered Shimano, longer than the triple I had because of the chain ring hitting the chainstay. It was inexpensive and comes in a great many axle lengths. So far everything works like a dream.

Lots of products to chose from, it comes down to how much do you want to spend and how much you care about aesthetics. And as BianchiJoe says, go look at Sheldon Brown's website it is a wealth of knowledge.

· Registered
1,048 Posts
I've been running a Phil Wood bottom bracket and a Sugino 75 crankset for 4 years and they have been bulletproof over many miles (the fixie is my main bike). The crankset is almost perfectly true and round so chain tension is consistent and the PW BB will adjust +/- 5mm so you can get the chainline perfect....these things are more important on a fixed gear but also good for a ss bike. Fairly pricy parts, but well worth it if you will be keeping the bike a long while and/or putting lotsa miles on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.