Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a new poster. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks, read just about every previous post so I wouldn't have to ask sizing, brake, and wheel questions. Just some backgroung: I'm an Avid mountain biker, recently gave up road riding, since germans are crazy drivers and shoulders don't exist in heidelberg (though cobblestone rides make me feel soooo hardcore....) I'm like a CAT nothing, never raced, but want to race some of the MTB Marathon races (germany has a ton), and cyclocross in the fall.

I've been wanting to get a cross bike for a while now, and the guys at yellow jersey are building me an 05 conquest pro with some heavy modification from the stock build. I skipped the discs since any racing I do will be in europe for the next three years, and I suspect they will be prickly about UCI rules even at non-UCI events.

I also have enough spare parts scavanged from my roadie, minus brakes, fork, and chainrings (on order) to build a pretty sweet cx rig. I just need a frame to hang it on. I've been checking out the empella bonfire, flyte xls3, and vantuyl vt340. I really dig the vt340, but nytro hasn't responded to any of my emails.

Does anyone have any experience with the above frames or with ordering from Nytro.com?

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Nytro seems way overpriced to me. You can get much better deals elsewhere, IMO.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
that the most blingetyass shop I've ever been to... well known among tri-types, not esp known for smokin' deals though

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's moot now...

I just ordered an XLS 3 from flyte. Decided I didn't want to screw with different size seat posts, clamps, etc on the van tuyl. And I've bought 3 frames from airborne, so I'm pretty confident on the quality and service I'll get from flyte. I dig the xls 3 because it's the same general shape as the Thunderbolt I just stripped, but longer in the top tube and head tube.

My build:

Flyte xls-3 60CM
IRD Cromo straight blade fork
Easton EA70 Cockpit/seatpost
Truvativ Elita GXP compact with Salsa 46/36 rings
Cane Creek Cantis
Shimano r-540 wheels (to be replaced with Easton Vistas when my wife gets over the fact that there are two new bikes sitting in the garage)
Michelin Mud 2s for wet days/Panaracer X-cinders for others
Full 105 9sp with 12/27 out back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts