Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding bike transportation. I have a Toyota Camry (no rack) but figure it would be pointless to get a roof rack installed since I'm planning on getting a new car (with roof rack) in a couple months. Will a trunk rack suffice until then? I'm kind of worried about the bike getting damaged in transit and have heard roof racks are the way to go.. Or should I just ditch the trunk rack and carry my bike in my car until then? I think it would fit but not sure... Any suggestions welcome :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd say if it's only going to be a couple months just take the front wheel off and put it in the back seat. That way if you get bored while driving you can touch it. :blush2:

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
berdswerd said:
I'd say if it's only going to be a couple months just take the front wheel off and put it in the back seat. That way if you get bored while driving you can touch it. :blush2:
just make sure passing drivers don't see you touching it, or you could get the cops called...or did you mean touching the bike?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Multi tasking while driving is never a good idea.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Does the camry have fold down rear seats? If so, pop the front wheel off, fold down your seats, and slide it in the trunk. If not, removing both wheels should make it fit easily. And this way you don't get grease all over your interior (hurts the resale!)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
You might even be able to fit your bike with both wheels installed into the car after folding the rear seat backs down—mine fits that way into the back of my Mazda6. The trick is to stuff it in rear wheel first and drive side up, front wheel pointing to the ground. Then roll the handlebar over the trunk lip as you slide the bike in.

I've been hauling bikes for many years, always inside the car. Smallest trunk I ever had to deal with was on a VW New Beetle, but even on that car, the frame, a blanket on it and two wheels fit into that truly tiny trunk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Back when I was still mountain biking and too cheap to buy a roof rack, I would just take both wheels off my hardtail and put it in the trunk of my Nissan Stanza. It only takes a couple of minutes if you've got quick releases.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
wim said:
You might even be able to fit your bike with both wheels installed into the car after folding the rear seat backs down—mine fits that way into the back of my Mazda6. The trick is to stuff it in rear wheel first and drive side up, front wheel pointing to the ground. Then roll the handlebar over the trunk lip as you slide the bike in.

I've been hauling bikes for many years, always inside the car. Smallest trunk I ever had to deal with was on a VW New Beetle, but even on that car, the frame, a blanket on it and two wheels fit into that truly tiny trunk.
Yeah--If the back seat folds down on Camrys (I can't remember), you should be able to get it inside, assuming you're not hauling kids, too. I can get my 64cm Atlantis in the back of my Protege if I take both wheels off. You may have to experiment a little--I used to struggle for five minutes trying to get it in the trunk back end first, then one day I turned it around and it slips right in handlebars first.

·
Registered
913 Posts
In my experience, it always seemed to work better just dimounting the front wheel & stuffing, eerrrrr, placing the bike in the back seat instead of dealing w/ fold down seats, esp in a sedan, the way the pass-thru "bottle-necks" between the passanger area & the cargo area will drive you up the wall. I have a Ford Focus and can get everything in my back seat so I know you can in your Camry. Just make sure the rear wheel is on the passanger side & the forks are behind you so the drivetrain is not on the seats (it's messy & a good way to screw things on the bike up royally)
Also, I guess it's nice to have people checking out your pride&joy---can't do that if half of it's stuffed in the trunk.
As far as trunk mounted racks: does your bike have a sloping top tube? If so it's NEVER quite gonna fit properly on the rack.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Nobody really answered your basic question. Trunk racks are fine. If you put the bike on carefully nothing will get damaged.

As far as trunk mounted racks: does your bike have a sloping top tube? If so it's NEVER quite gonna fit properly on the rack.
Not true in my experience; With a little ingenuity I have fit all sorts of bikes on trunk racks, including sloping tube frames, MTB, and kids bikes.

BTW, the Saris Bones is a very cleverly designed rack, adaptable to most any car shape and folds up small and light when not in use.

Inside the car is always nice if you can manage it, because the bike is protected from weather, theft, etc. But a road bike, even with the wheels off, can take up a lot of space in a small car, and sometimes the outside rack is very handy.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did forget about the Saris Bones. Oops. It is actually a very good system, esp for sloping tubes. With other systems it was a bit of a headache getting everything on & secured. If you do decide to go trunk mount, at the cost, the Saris Bones would be an investment, but you could use it on your next car as well...

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Trunk racks...

All but the cheapest work pretty well for bikes, but, if you are selling the car soon and it is otherwise in good shape, it is often really hard to not scratch up your trunklid with the padded rollers over time, and I've definitely chipped finishes with the little metal tabs that secure it to the edges of the trunk.

If you only have 1 bike to carry I agree with the "in the trunk" idea.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a 2001 Camry and have carried my bike on a trunk rack, in the trunk and in the backseat. I would suggest extra bits of protection to protect the finish of the car when using a trunk rack (I put an old sock over the trunk side pedal, and some foam around part of the front wheel; I also tie off the handle bars and use extra rope and bungee cords for security). To get it into the trunk removing only the front wheel takes a little puzzling but is possible. I have also packed it in a bike box from a LBS and stowed it in the trunk for a long drive over the Rockies (I don't think the bike shipping containers you buy from the stores will fit in the trunk). The back seat is OK too. You take off the front wheel and adjust the front seats to give you enough room, the disadvantage being getting grease or dirt on your upholstery.

Dancer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Be very careful when mounting your bike on a trunk rack if it's carbon. You dont want to overtighten the straps. Ideall get one of those bars that grab onto your seatpost and clamp under your stamp and mount that bar as a 2nd top tube of sorts into the bike rack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.