Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 40 years old. Quit smoking a year ago and put on the pounds. I've tried to get back into running but my knees won't let me. So I have decided to get a bike. I Havn't ridden since I was a kid so I am totaly green. My goals are to get in shape and build up to a 16 mile comute to work. I start a 6am so I need something with a little speed(don't want to wake up to early). Test rode a few bikes today and I am leaning towards a Trek 1.5. Am I close to what I need. I would appreciate any Ideas or suggestions. I would like to stay under $1k. Thanks Carl

· Registered
797 Posts
Looks like a real nice ride. If you're comfortable on it, I say go for it.
Although, I'm of the opinon that you may want to try a hybrid untill you get into a bit better shape. I also think they'd be a bit easyer to ride for someone with little experience.

· Registered
381 Posts
If your primary goal for this bike is to commute, you may want to consider a cross bike. They are fast like a road bike, but have a little bigger tires for the varied road conditions commuting can throw at you and cantilever breaks for a little better stopping power. Trek has the X02 and X01, but they may be a little more expensive than what you are looking for.

The Trek 1.2 may still be a good choice for a commuter as it appears to have eyelets on the rear dropouts that will accept a rack. While you can commute with a backpack, it is certainly much nicer (IMO) to commute with a rack and panniers.

Later,

Jay B.

· Registered
638 Posts
not familiar with that trek but if you decide that fender mounts arent important is say that for $200 extra the specialized allez elite is alot of bike for $1200. My friend went out with a $1200 budget this week and after a cannondale, scott, fuji, trek, and bianchi he went with the specialized. fuji does give you a heck of alot of components for the cash but the frame doesnt compare for the pricerange.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Kudos and more kudos for quitting smoking. It's a very hard thing to do. Good on ya.

· (not a real racer)
484 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Kudos and more kudos for quitting smoking. It's a very hard thing to do. Good on ya.

+1 on that.
One of the hardest things I've ever done. Haven't had a cig since Feb of 2002.

You'll enjoy the heck out of what ever bike you end up with and you'll know when you find the right one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go man GO!!!!!!

· Registered
6 Posts
hope this helps

I am also 40 and have been riding again for 2.5 years, and am quitting chewing today. Any bike you are comfortable on you will ride if you are not comfortable you wont. I haven't looked back since starting to ride again and have lost 30 lbs in these past years and it makes you feel great. Riding with groups that are around is a great way to get into it and learn how what to do and when to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.