Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a hard tail mountain bike with 26x2.1 knobby wheels (no one at home using it) for the past 2 months now. Problem is that I’m too tall for a frame size 15. Now that I am getting the hang of it and having fun, I would like to purchase my first bicycle. My daily route is only in the city. Im doing about 30 kilometers a day and improving. Question now is, do I get a road bike or a gravel bike with not so wide tires? I mentioned gravel bike because after doing some research and asking friends, they are all pointing towards a gravel bike for its versatility.

My budget is around $1,000. Would appreciate some suggestions.

Additional info, I will also be riding with friends in the future who do long rides (100 kilometers). All road.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You say a 15" frame is too small for you but that's a mt bike that you've been riding on the road, it has a different fit than a standard road bike. Duriel's Contend suggestion looks great, it comes with 28's so once you get the tire pressures dialed in I'm sure you can get a comfy and efficient ride as your fitness improves, just check out their sizing chart.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Look ahead and challenge yourself.
Buy the best bike you can afford.
In the future, if you are riding in a group of road riders
What are they riding?
Not Gravel.
Not Endurance.
Not- 38mm tires.
Not 32mm tires.
GravelBikes are not for road performance or any comparison thereof .

Versatility is a market jargon ... just like "Comfort".
I wish more people could grasp that.
Group rides and a Gravel bike.... are a surefire handicap.

If you think you'll be more comfortable on a gravel bike when you're on the road then I'll drag my Queen size mattress on my next overnight camping hike .

Whats' your age? and physical condition?
Are you really going to ride on gravel?
Or will you ride the road.
Road bikes cannot ride on gravel.... for a good reason.
A dammed good reason.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
You don't say how tall you are or what your inseam is. It will at least confirm to us the 15" frame is too small.

Other than that, I would get a ROAD bike. Gravel bikes are fine IF YOU RIDE A LOT OF GRAVEL OR DIRT ROADS. Otherwise, just get a road bike. Gravel bikes are too much of a niche market.

A bike like the Specialized Allez meets your price point and will be all you'll need to ride with your buddies. You'll have to buy some key accessories such as cycling shoes and clipless pedals; the other stuff such as clothing you'll buy as you progress.

This most important thing is to get a bike that's the right size for you. Don't sweat whether the bike has the latest and greatest parts. Don't buy a bike that's too small (a current trend).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look ahead and challenge yourself.
Buy the best bike you can afford.
In the future, if you are riding in a group of road riders
What are they riding?
Not Gravel.
Not Endurance.
Not- 38mm tires.
Not 32mm tires.
GravelBikes are not for road performance or any comparison thereof .

Versatility is a market jargon ... just like "Comfort".
I wish more people could grasp that.
Group rides and a Gravel bike.... are a surefire handicap.

If you think you'll be more comfortable on a gravel bike when you're on the road then I'll drag my Queen size mattress on my next overnight camping hike .

Whats' your age? and physical condition?
Are you really going to ride on gravel?
Or will you ride the road.
Road bikes cannot ride on gravel.... for a good reason.
A dammed good reason.
Thank for the info.

I am 41 years old and will never get kn trails/gravel.

I guess I will be getting a road bike then. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't say how tall you are or what your inseam is. It will at least confirm to us the 15" frame is too small.

Other than that, I would get a ROAD bike. Gravel bikes are fine IF YOU RIDE A LOT OF GRAVEL OR DIRT ROADS. Otherwise, just get a road bike. Gravel bikes are too much of a niche market.

A bike like the Specialized Allez meets your price point and will be all you'll need to ride with your buddies. You'll have to buy some key accessories such as cycling shoes and clipless pedals; the other stuff such as clothing you'll buy as you progress.

This most important thing is to get a bike that's the right size for you. Don't sweat whether the bike has the latest and greatest parts. Don't buy a bike that's too small (a current trend).
Nope no gravel or dirt roads for me. I was looking at specialized and might visit their store.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You say a 15" frame is too small for you but that's a mt bike that you've been riding on the road, it has a different fit than a standard road bike. Duriel's Contend suggestion looks great, it comes with 28's so once you get the tire pressures dialed in I'm sure you can get a comfy and efficient ride as your fitness improves, just check out their sizing chart.
Okay. Will also look into that. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
One thing to consider at your price point is a used bike. Both new and used bikes are in short supply right now and you will end up paying more than historical average for a used bike, but you can get a LOT more bike for the price. Look at bikes 2-5 years old that haven't got a ton of miles. The differences between brands are pretty small at any given price.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
2,970 Posts
A couple of years ago, I thought that I wanted a 'gravel' bike. I looked around at what was available, and at the type of riding I was interested in. For my riding, I was probably 50% paved road, and 50% unpaved, some 'improved', some just singletrack.

What I did not like about gravel bikes were that tires width were still a bit limiting, and most of the bikes just felt more light-duty than I was looking for. Probably great for riding on maintained fire roads, but we don't have anything like that where I live.

What I ended up buying was a Specialized Awol, which is an 'adventure touring' bike. Road-style fit and geometry, but with enough clearance to run 50mm tire with fenders. Now, I don't ride road pacelines, so I'm OK with it being a bike that's not meant to keep up with the roadies (I have a couple of road bikes, but seem to ride them a lot less these days). My guess is that, if you haven't done a lot of group riding before, you probably won't in the future, either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of years ago, I thought that I wanted a 'gravel' bike. I looked around at what was available, and at the type of riding I was interested in. For my riding, I was probably 50% paved road, and 50% unpaved, some 'improved', some just singletrack.

What I did not like about gravel bikes were that tires width were still a bit limiting, and most of the bikes just felt more light-duty than I was looking for. Probably great for riding on maintained fire roads, but we don't have anything like that where I live.

What I ended up buying was a Specialized Awol, which is an 'adventure touring' bike. Road-style fit and geometry, but with enough clearance to run 50mm tire with fenders. Now, I don't ride road pacelines, so I'm OK with it being a bike that's not meant to keep up with the roadies (I have a couple of road bikes, but seem to ride them a lot less these days). My guess is that, if you haven't done a lot of group riding before, you probably won't in the future, either.
I will keep this in mind. For now all i am doing are solo rides and enjoying it

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,576 Posts
Road bike, gravel bike or somewhere in between? My question is what are the roads like on your daily city route? If they are anything like cities like New York where the road surfaces are horrible, I would get a gravel bike or at least something that can fit 32mm tires or more. A daily commute on bad roads with skinny road tires will wear thin on you very quickly. If most of your roads are well maintained, then by all means go with a road bike.

More important is to find a good shop who will fit you correctly. A good shop will put you and your new bike on a trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit correctly.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Another option would be to get a cheap single speed that fits and use it until you figure out exactly what you want for a real road bike and start riding outside of the city for more than 30K.

You'll probably still have plenty of use for it even once you start with real road cycling outside of the city for longer distances for when you don't leave the city. Those are generally better for in-city riding anyway unless it's a real hilly city in large part because of simplicity and locking am expensive bike to a sign post kinda sucks.

I live in a city and although I do a lot of long hilly rides outside of it where a road or gravel bike with gears is by far the best option I still have plenty of use for a single speed.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
If your planning on doing group rides, don't have "any" hills, you could ride a fixie. If your doing group rides or want to enjoy hills, you will need gears! PERIOD!

·
Registered
18,328 Posts
If your planning on doing group rides, don't have "any" hills, you could ride a fixie. If your doing group rides or want to enjoy hills, you will need gears! PERIOD!
Not necessarily.
It depends on your ride level vs the group ride level. I know a few guys who do group rides, with hills, on a fixie.
If you're an A level rider, riding with a B or C level group on a fixed isn't a big deal.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,576 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Thank for the info.

I am 41 years old and will never get kn trails/gravel.
Like I said buy the best you can afford. BuyRight & BuyOnce.. Rule#1

It really doesn't matter what the bike costs. There all sticker shock expensive.
I'd suggest taking your time to sort things out. Your ride focus , and the quality of the bike frame and components.

Now, Sir Lombard makes a point as to your "commuting" .
Personally, my road bikes are for road training (28m tires ).
My performance and the bikes quality's are important to me.
Your circumstance maybe different.

Riding a commuter bike, or a road bike with Claris/ Sora for spirited training rides... is a quick way to buying your second bike.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts