Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold about 15 things on ebay and I am frustrated. I'm really only frustrated with one thing. Either there are buyers out there lying (I'm pretty sure one guy is)about never getting the stuff (apparently I should add : "if insurance is not purchased I am not responsible"), or else the USPS is not reliable. This is stuff that was shipped like 3 weeks ago. Now on all my stuff I picked a flat rate shipping price and in some cases I was pretty far off in my estimate (I didn't really realize how $$ it was to ship) so I ended up going parcel post (5-9 days). I've concluded NEVER GO PARCEL POST. I also shipped some stuff UPS and haven't had a problem (everything is automatically insured to $100), but postal is cheaper for lighter stuff which most of my stuff was. What I don't want is to get negative feedback (I'm at 100% with 53 responses) from either 1) a scumbag who got the item and is lying or 2) someone who really didn't get the item but chose not to get insurance (which I made optional). Lastly I don't want to be financial responsible for these lost items (which I don't think I will be since I made insurance optional and they didn't choose it, but I never said "not responsible, etc" but I don't think that matters) Any tips/ideas/suggestions for this newbie seller? I don't have a lot more stuff to sell but some (like a very expensive microphone list $4500 and a mic preamp/power supply list $1700). I held off on selling those bc I wanted to learn about selling and see I have a lot to learn. thanks for any help.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Use UPS or Fed Ex only

For UPS, go to http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US and enter the furthest points from your house. For example, I used Sacramento to New York. Add 10% to the costs once calculated. Your covered that way. Here's an example provided for a 10lb package. Always ensure and always use a way to make them sign for it.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a scale would be nice to have. for most of my items the bathroom scale wouldn't cut it(too light to get accurate reading). i would like to use ebay's shipping calculator and just charge actual cost.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Whenever I sell on eBay I use FedEx. I'd rather charge 6 for shipping and actually spend 6 (and get a tracking number) rather than charge 6, spend 3 with the USPS (and pocket $3), and be without a tracking number.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
since the inception of public replies to feedback, i wouldn't worry about one or two negatives.

you are no responsible for some asshat who chose not to insure.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I was pissed at these 5 dudes that wouldn't leave feedback then learned its bc they never got the stuff!!!

so as a seller do you leave feedback upon payment or wait....i left it right away upon payment...I think I'm gonna get drilled here with negative feedback at any time :D

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
yeah I was pissed at these 5 dudes that wouldn't leave feedback then learned its bc they never got the stuff!!!

so as a seller do you leave feedback upon payment or wait....i left it right away upon payment...I think I'm gonna get drilled here with negative feedback at any time :D
once you rec payment their part is done. i leave feedback immediately.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
a scale would be nice to have. for most of my items the bathroom scale wouldn't cut it(too light to get accurate reading). i would like to use ebay's shipping calculator and just charge actual cost.
You may already know this trick, but ... Get on scale with item, get on scale without item. Find the difference. You should be able to grossly weigh packages enough to estimate shipping. If less than 2 pounds, just estimate at 2 pounds. Also, best to weigh the item with packing materials included.

I like USPS Priority with delivery confirmation ($.50 upcharge). I also encourage the buyer to purchase insurance and state that I will not be liable for reimbursement in the case it is lost, damaged or stolen.

Never had a problem.

Oh, before I started using delivery confirmation, a guy claimed that my package never arrived. I had shipped USPS Priority. I bluffed him that I was going to file a claim with USPS that afternoon. Miraculously, the item showed up that day.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
NEVER GO PARCEL POST.
yup...that is good advice in general. avoid USPS. they suck. for anything of value send it via UPS or Fedex or some similar trackable method.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
If you have a scale, you can buy your USPS postage thru paypal which includes delivery confirmation and some additional level of protection for you. My wife uses this and its nice to be able to reply and say your package was delivered on this day. Check with your post office.

For the high-end items, I would go with UPS, fedex, DHL. Mayve make insurance mandetory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.