Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inevitable happened to me for the first time in a combat situation today. Since I heeded the advice of the experts here, I had a spare tube (and patch kit which I used when I got home), tire levers and a frame pump. But even better, I tried doing it awhile back at home so I knew how it all worked. No big deal, just part of the ride!

Decided to celebrate with some clipless shoes and pedals. Seems easy enough to get into and out of them, but the next ride may be slightly more eventful... :eek:

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Good for you. So many people are intimidated by the idea of fixing a flat on the road. Now you know it's doable.

Practice with the pedals, and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had my first flat today and had a heck of a time getting the tire back on the bike. I know there is an easy way, but not figured that part out yet. The flat was a three minute job; getting the tire back on the bike was a 5 minute ordeal.

Suggestions to make it easier to put tire back on???

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Smallest cog, always.

g8keyper said:
I had my first flat today and had a heck of a time getting the tire back on the bike. I know there is an easy way, but not figured that part out yet. The flat was a three minute job; getting the tire back on the bike was a 5 minute ordeal.

Suggestions to make it easier to put tire back on???
When putting the chain back on, most likely you put it on the wrong cog. The chain has to go on the cog it was on when you removed the wheel. If not, the offset derailleur cage will make it very difficult to align the wheel in the frame.

The easiest way to do that is to always shift the chain to the smallest cog before you take the wheel out, then put the chain on the smallest cog when putting the wheel back in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.