Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
YES, I am a newbie!!! Hi my name is Joe!!! Dallas, Tx!! :)

I want to say Thanks for all the buying advice. I ended up picking up the phone and calling all the people I know who seriously ride. Turned out my accountant (whom I trust explicitly) had upgraded to a Trek 5200 a few months back and had a Trek 1100 which he had upgraded significantly; bought it for $500.00. Figure he had done all the upgrades and dirty work; good beginner for me.

So, the question is what if anything should I upgrade; kind of want to do something just to make it my own. ; ) I have $200.00 to spend in my budget.

Here are the specs.
Trek 1100 Not sure of year, but think it's 2001 or so
105 Front Derailleur
105 Rear Derailleur
105 Shift Levers (feel so crisp!)
New 9 Speed Rear Cartridge
New 3 Gears front Crank (Not 105)
New "Rolf-Vector Comp" Wheels
Bantrager Tires - almost new
Saddle is "Serfas" - almost new
CatsEye Computer ( I use a Garmin 405 watch with heart monitor for running probably use for bike too)
** Dia-Compe BRS Edge Calipers front and rear

I was thinking about looking for used Shimano 105 or Ultegra Calipers just because I never heard of the Dia-Compe.

Sorry so long, just excited .... suggestions would be fantastic. : ) Already paid dues for local club and plan on riding alone next few weeks before joining them. Already bought extra tubes, air-canisters, tools, seat bag, High-End Shorts, Shirts, Good Jar-Head Cover!! See, I learn from your postings!!!

I run marathons and am using this as cross training, but am planning a triathlon next year. : )

Thanks so much again and again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Joe

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Just ride it

g8keyper said:
So, the question is what if anything should I upgrade; kind of want to do something just to make it my own. ; ) I have $200.00 to spend in my budget.
There's nothing on that bike that would make a noticeable difference to upgrade at this point. Save your $200 for clothes, training books (if you want to go that route), some on-line coaching (again, if you are into significant performance improvement) or just set it aside for when something wears out and needs replacement.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Shoes and clipless pedals

BTW-thats a bonded Aluminum frame which dates it to pre-1998 (the year Trek started welding Aluminum). I'd actually date it to early 90's. The components are newer though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ride your bike for a while before deciding if there's anything you want to change. If you like the way it feels, then spend your extra money on some good cycling shorts and shoes, repair tools, or any other accessories you might need. Maybe you could even sign up for some kind of biking seminars, if your local riding group offers them.

Congrats on the new bike! Hope you enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
+1 on above comments. Also, forget about changing the brake calipers. That is the component that has the least performance difference from one mfr to another or one group to another. It's a pretty "generic" component.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I second all the advice here. Shoes and clipless pedals are the only upgrade that will make a performance difference immediately. New brake pads always help, and Koolstops are better than any original -equipment pad (even if they were new, and yours are old.)

By the way, Dia-Compe has been making bicycle components, especially brakes, for 50 years or more. They made, and still make, high-quality stuff.

Go ride a lot, Joe. Have fun. Don't get too hung up on on brand names and equipment choices. Learn how to work it, learn how to maintain it, and ride the hell out of it.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
saddle if yours sucks at all angles, handlebar if yours is too narrow, clipless pedals/shoes

...then lights, tubes, tools, patches, bar tape and an Obama spoke card :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it. Notes taken!!! I am upgrading the brakes to the Ultegra, but only because I met someone selling a new set off a bike for $50.00. Also paying for fitting, pedals, shoes, and water bottles. That eats the budget so far.

I appreciate all of the input. This forum is truly golden in terms of keeping newbies from making big mistakes. ie. spending too much money on the wrong things to start out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I just got a little scared about the calipers because they are as old as the bike which has now been said to be about 8 years old. I am new to this sport and the thought of riding down hill at 30Mph and then eeek the calipers not working is scary. For me, the piece of mind in buying $50.00 pre-owned never used Ultegra Calipers is just that; piece of mind. I'll go over budget a few bucks, but that's ok. Safety is a good thing to go over budget for anyway.

I do appreciate the input through and take all the advice here very seriously.

·
Registered
960 Posts
g8keyper said:
I do appreciate the input through and take all the advice here very seriously.
Just don't come back here in a month and start an thread about "Is my Avg. Speed any good"... Then the info you get is immediately gonna be HARSH to say the least. :D :rolleyes:

Good luck man, and remember... Have fun, that's what cycling (of any kind) should be about.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Advice taken; this morning purchased Shimano SH-RO99 Shoes, SpeedPlay Light Action Chrome-Monly Black Pedals, WinTech Wireless Computer, and had the basic fitting done.

I think I did ok having walked away spending about what I expected today. The computer wasn't needed and put me over budget by 100.00 but the older CatsEye has given me too many headaches in the last couple weeks by working very intermittently.

All of your help has been much appreciated!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.