Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am looking to get back into road biking, but I am concerned with the issue of buying a road bike with my weight. I use to own a bike back when I only weighed 170 lbs., but I have since become lazy and weigh 215 lbs. now. My question is are there bikes out there that will handle my weight and if so can you guys give any suggestions.

Thanks-

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Mike I have been between 230-250lbs for the last several years. I don’t worry about my bike handling it, as much as my wheels and tires. I get the wheels trued every year and I make sure my tires are fully inflated - I ride on 25's and 28's. I ride a 06 Lemond Zurich and love it.

When I picked out my road bike a picked several local stores and rode 11-13 bikes from those stores. While I was ready to spend more $$ I found the Lemond’s as awesome rides for nearly 1/2 of what I was expecting to pay for my new bike.

So my advice is find a bike you like to ride and keep the wheels and tires properly maintained and have fun.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
Pretty much any bike will hold more than enough weight. You might want to consider having your LBS install a heavy duty rims on the rear wheel. Something like a Velocity Deep Vee - 32 holes will be plenty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Pretty much any bike will hold more than enough weight. You might want to consider having your LBS install a heavy duty rims on the rear wheel. Something like a Velocity Deep Vee - 32 holes will be plenty.

+1

The frame itself will hold you no problem . Wheels are what gets many larger riders in trouble. Consider open pros laced to ultegra hubs if you want utilitarian .If you want something really light but strong, go custom with perhaps White Mountain wheels or the like .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm pretty excited to get back into riding the road, just waiting for the snow to melt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
Magnus Backstedt was very near that weight, and no doubt way stronger than either of us. I don't recall him regularly breaking bikes. You can do it, for sure. And if you get back into riding, you'll probably lose 20-25 pounds the first season, so you'll have a good excuse to upgrade to slicker parts!

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
JCavilia said:
Magnus Backstedt was very near that weight, and no doubt way stronger than either of us. I don't recall him regularly breaking bikes. You can do it, for sure. And if you get back into riding, you'll probably lose 20-25 pounds the first season, so you'll have a good excuse to upgrade to slicker parts!

:)
Not to go off topic. But, I remember reading a story of how Magnus rode an Aluminium frame instead of Carbon....because he was worried about breakage. That story was about 4 or 5 years ago. The guy is a beast....a freak of nature.

FWIW, I weigh 240lbs and ride a Carbon Trek, and have had zero problems in 4 years. Like others have said.....invest in a good strong properly built wheelset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
normalnorm said:
Not to go off topic. But, I remember reading a story of how Magnus rode an Aluminium frame instead of Carbon....because he was worried about breakage. That story was about 4 or 5 years ago. The guy is a beast....a freak of nature.

FWIW, I weigh 240lbs and ride a Carbon Trek, and have had zero problems in 4 years. Like others have said.....invest in a good strong properly built wheelset.
Likewise. I am (STILL!) 230 and ride a carbon trek with Bontrager Race X Lites. I have to reset my rear wheel every couple of rides, but no other problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,636 Posts
Memories

JCavilia said:
Magnus Backstedt was very near that weight, and no doubt way stronger than either of us. I don't recall him regularly breaking bikes.
Actually, there were numerous articles written about him over the years detailing how the standard team issue bikes would not hold up to the punishment he could dish out. I recall one mention of "4 frames in one season" or something like that. He often rode specially built frames that could take the beating.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
What everybody else said, plus...

215 is about what I'd weigh if I were in really good shape--when I get down to that, I quit worrying about the wheels.
At my present 240, I fret a little about 32-spoke wheels, but they're generally OK if they're well built (or at least hand-trued and tensioned by a competent wheelbuilder, which I'm not).
Since you're shopping for a new ride, I'd recommend looking (looking hard, in fact) for a frame (and fork) that will handle at least 28mm tires, and preferably 32-35. People our size have no business on 23s..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
I'm around your weight and my main ride is a Felt F85. You can pretty much pick most road bikes. Your concern will be the wheels- like most people have mentioned. 215 lbs isn't really a lot and practically any 32 spoke wheelset should work if it was built properly. I was on the lightweight kick and discovered too late that a 200+ lb. guy shouldn't be riding low spoke count wheels. I have a pair of Velocity Deep Vs (32 spoke) and they are virtually bulletproof. Velocity actually has a 24 front/32 rear pair of Deep Vs that you can buy for around $300 that will take whatever you throw at them and won't break your wallet. Performance Bike also carries a 32 spoke front and rear Mavic Open Pro wheelset w/ Shimano Ultegra hubs for around $300 also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
Thanks

Kerry Irons said:
Actually, there were numerous articles written about him over the years detailing how the standard team issue bikes would not hold up to the punishment he could dish out. I recall one mention of "4 frames in one season" or something like that. He often rode specially built frames that could take the beating.
Your recall is obviously better than mine. Do you know whether he was the heaviest pro road cyclist ever? (or at least to the extent there are records)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,636 Posts
Heaviest pro

JCavilia said:
Your recall is obviously better than mine. Do you know whether he was the heaviest pro road cyclist ever? (or at least to the extent there are records)
I don't know who the heaviest pro roadie was, though Maggie is up there. Eros Poli is another big guy, but from the previous generation of racers. Maybe you could find this kind of information on a Tour de France fan site where they would list the riders' stats for every year.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top