Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions/advice on what product (s) are best to have with me on my bike during longer rides to keep me fueled. I see so much advertised but I get lost in the sea of informatiion. Thanks in advance.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
The new easy-to-buy stuff at the stores like the cliff bars, powerpars, gels, shots, etc are great for the first year or so of riding or during a <60min crit. But, eventually, it seems like everyone winds up doing the tried and true method for nutrition on the bike:

real food.

Let our experience save you the hassle. Make a peanut butter and honey sandwich, fig bars, or something that is real food. Stuff it in a sandwich bag or in some aluminum foil and open it up every 1-1.5hrs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
cclaeys said:
I like to ride where the best looking women are jogging, keeps me plenty fueled.

Yeah buddy! Sometimes while out on my MTB, I come across the ASU womens cross country team, out working out on the desert trails. Holy Schmoly! 20-30 college coeds jogging in short shorts, and sports bras is almost too much for my 41 year old heart. Talk about motivation, though!

·
Registered
388 Posts
mikagsd -

I agree about the real food. I usually use both fake and real however.

I typically use both Accelerade and water.Gu or Power Gels as well as jelly and cream cheese or just jelly sandwiches, peanutbutter can be a little tough to take down if your on a hard effort but has protein and wont get nasty like cream cheese if its hot and on your back.

I think any of the gel type products are pretty good, they are just sugar basically...I think the AccelGel from the accelerade company has protein in it but I havent tried it. hope this helps

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
The new easy-to-buy stuff at the stores like the cliff bars, powerpars, gels, shots, etc are great for the first year or so of riding or during a <60min crit. But, eventually, it seems like everyone winds up doing the tried and true method for nutrition on the bike:

real food.

Let our experience save you the hassle. Make a peanut butter and honey sandwich, fig bars, or something that is real food. Stuff it in a sandwich bag or in some aluminum foil and open it up every 1-1.5hrs.

LOL :D +1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts