Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a lock and after looking thru all of the posts and products I am alittle confused. I live in a med-low crime (closer to low) area-and now that I have a new madone 4.5. There are times when I am by myself and need to run into a store or gas station. So I want a simple lock. My other bike is a Trek 8700 mtn. So would I be better of with the 3.5' hardwire cable (?) or a mini U-lock to use for both bikes. Those of you in high crime areas what do you think? Should I get the best protection regardless of my areas theft? And what size would you recommend. For the U-Lock, would I measure the space needed to get the correct width?

thanks and I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times-I never saw the response..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Wooglin, That is exactly it. I just need something for a quick fix, not Fort Knox. What length would you think...3.5'? or too long. Years ago I used a pair of police handcuffs on my old steel frame maybe I could use that too to lock the front tire if I was going to leave my bike longer.

Thank you, Thank you.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Is this something you'll carry with you all the time, on every ride? Or just when you go out for errands on the bike?

If you'll carry it all the time and you just need a little deterrant, I'd get something very light. I think 3.5' is enough but it may sometimes be too short to lock your wheel too. If you'll just carry this lock when you go out for an errand, i think it's probably worth investing in something a little more heavy duty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should get one for all situations. Just the time I think deterrant I realized I needed a more secure lock. Besides I'm protecting my madone!! How much is too much for the U Lock and yes I would take it with me when I am commuting to work. I'll use my old handcuffs for a "quicky" pit stop.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Go with a mini-u, it's not that heavy and MUCH more secure then a cable. I use a mini-u with a 4 ft cable for the wheels and have yet to have an issue.

I live in Portland, OR which doesn't have terrible bike theft but it certainly happens. Lock well, lock always and good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Scott,
Excuse my ignorance but how would I lock my bike using the mini U Lock? Is it big enough to fit the rear tire, front tire to an object? I have not seen any like that around here. Most people carry the larger one and that seems too big. I like the small size, easier to carry if I need to. We only have 1 place that sells them but not the smaller one so I would have to order online.

Thanks, and to anyone else who can respond to my question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to order the Evo mini U lock. Thanks for everyones thoughts.

So for a quick deterrent without having to remove my front wheel (short duration) I will use a pair of police handcuffs to lock the front tire to the opening in my Keo pedal and that way I won't have to carry a cable with me. My seat is not a quick release so not an issue. So I will go that route until I feel the need for more security.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
wmiller said:
Scott,
Excuse my ignorance but how would I lock my bike using the mini U Lock? Is it big enough to fit the rear tire, front tire to an object?
There was an excelent post by a young MB1 years ago that I saw on rerun recently about locking methods, but I couldn`t find it again. Anyway, I believe the prefered method for U-locking a bike is to put the lock around the rack/lamp post, etc and around the rear wheel at a point on the wheel that`s inside the main triangle of your bike frame. Sheldon Brown explains why this strategy is sufficient (near the end of this short article) and has a picture of how to do it here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
In order to lock your front wheel also, you`d need another lock, preferably a cable lock this time because, as he explains, U-locks and cable locks need different tools to break, so your chances are much better that a would be thief won`t be wandering around with the stuff to breach both types of locks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have read Sheldon Browns article and that was my main reason for the mini, I was just thinking about a simple quick fix for the front tire. Being a female, riding alone at time and when nature calls I don't have the male luxury so I need something easy and quick when I stop in a convenience store/gas station to use the litter box!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Okay, you already knew as much as I did about U-locks then. Fortunately, between the desirability of my bikes and the areas where I live, shop, and work or frequently find myself, I`ve never felt the need for one.

Hey, come on! We don`t have it any easier than you as far as litterboxes around town go! Well, shorter lines, but that`s about it until it`s time for the Sunday picnic in the woods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My area isn't very high either for thefts and I don't know how bike savvy people are around here. I teach on a small college campus and am fortunate enough to put it in my office. Am I suppose to do that-I don't know but I won't leave it outside. Just having the lock will give me some peace of mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts