Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have been riding mountain bikes for the past 7 years and have finally been inspired enough by my friends and watching the Tour to get a road bike. I am thinking used would be the way to go and can probably spend up to $3,000 for a rig. Any suggestions of frames/gruppos that I need to get for my first ride? Should I definately go full carbon frame and fork if I can?

Also, I am 5'10" and have a 32 inch inseam. Should I be riding a 54cm frame?

Thanks for the help.:D

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Welcome to the forums. A good, reputable bike shop will be able to get you fitted for the right bike. You can easily get a carbon bike with nice components at that price. When getting fit, make sure to tell the fitter (assuming he's a good one, that is!) what type of riding you will be doing. Distance riding vs. racing will give you two very different set ups and sizes. Everyone wants to go fast, and many fitters just set you up for fast, but not comfort. He should ask a lot of questions to determine the set up. If not, find another fitter/bike shop.

·
Registered
586 Posts
$3,000 get you into nice bike. I made the same jump as you, from mountain biking, a little over a year ago. I would never have guessed it but spend 10 times more time on my road bike now. I would suggest you get something with Ultegra or equal components, carbon frame and look at the wheels. A lot of bikes package bikes with heavy wheels because people don't notice. Wheels are a very expensive upgrade. Some companies are coming out with 2011 bikes and are raising prices slightly or not at all. That means 2010 will have to go on significant price markdowns. No one can tell you what frames to go with. You'll have to get on them and ride. You'll find one you fall in love with and then you'll know. Most large manufacturers bikes are similar and all good at this price point. It's really the sweet spot, in my opinion, at getting into higher end bikes. Good luck and be prepared to fall in love.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts