Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a casual rider who has been riding for over 30 years and I need some good advice which is why I came here. I have only had two bikes my whole life one was a Kabuki which I bought in 1979, and then a friend had given me a Fuji from about the same era when the Kabuki fell apart a couple years ago . I ride basically for 5 months of the year and roughly around 50 miles a week at most . Well today my Fuji's frame cracked and I am without a bike and I feel lost. I need to get a replacement but at 52 years old I am pondering which direction I should go plus I really didn't want to break the bank. Do I go the Walmart cheapo route(Schwinn) ,go a little higher thru Amazon( Dawes),or go the used route or spend even more and go for some better brand. Any help would be much appreciated good or bad.Thanks.

· Registered
83 Posts
If you want to go new and are used to the down tube shifters, Specialized has a low price road bike this year. Here's the link to it:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45678&eid=4350&menuItemId=9256
The price is $610 on the website. I think this is one of the lowest prices you are going to find. More you spend the more you get. You don't have to spend thousands to get a great bike. I bought this model last year, the sports model for around 1100 and love it.

· Registered
238 Posts
Don't even think about Walmart, Target, etc.! Go to as many bike shops as you can find, and you'll strat to get a sense of what's out there, as well as what will be some decent professional advice on finding a bike that fits you properly. You'll be amazed at how decent a bike you can get for $500 or just a bit more, especially if you can find 'last years' model on sale.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
If you're just planning to ride around the block, park, or beach path...then Walmart, and Target bikes are okay. There is no sense in spending more than 150 bucks if that's all you want to do. I have one of those bikes to fart around on, and go to the store with. Nobody will steal it, and I leave it outside.

If you plan on riding more than 5 miles at a time on the bike, then maybe Dawes is where you should look. The problem with that is with the fitting. You may never fit well on the bike and therefore may never ride it because it's uncomfortable. The build quality on these bikes is just okay, they are very heavy and not so durable.

If you go to the Local Bike Shop, you will be fitted well, you will find the right bike for you. You will get a full warranty, service and a place to hang around. The enjoyment will double and you may find that there is a club at the shop that you can ride with. This may lead to you getting serious in Mountain biking or road biking, which may lead to more.... The entry level is about 500-600 dollars for a rock solid piece of art that you will want to keep in your living room and stare at. Companies in this category include (Giant, Cannondale, Felt, Specialized, etc.) But be forewarned, this is not for everyone.

The choice is yours. As for me make mine a Local Bike Shop Ride.

The 600 dollar Rock Solid Giant Rapid.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
plenty of used bikes of similar quality to that Kabuki or Fuji exist. Sadly, many of them have been converted in to "fixies" but if you troll Craigslist and garage sales and thrift stores, you'll find a few gems in the ~$150-$300 range.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically I am just looking for that last bike I will need to purchase. Being 52 I am looking for something comfortable plus having a bad back which is why I ride instead of running.I am looking for a bike that is also low maintenance.I would love to buy top of the line but with sending 1 kid to college this year and 1 just graduating who can't find employment my funds are running on empty.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about this

Would you try this? I have one good frame (Kabuki) and if I got a rear derailleur and a crank set , crank arms and pedals and tune up at a bike shop would that be a cheaper androute but also get a decent bike out of it.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
I got my road bike at 52 and love it. Spend some time test riding everything and figure put what you want. So much technology has made riding much easier over the last 31 years, not saying anything is wrong with those bikes, but give other bikes a try and you might be rodong more than 50 miles a week

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.