Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of getting some new wheels for my bike.
Some backround info: i am 130lbs
I have giant ocr 3. (whith stock wheels)
i have been riding seriously for about 2 years
Next year I plan on joining a team and racing.

I am very new to the technical stuff about bikes. I would say i "know what i am doing" riding wise.

Ok my tube has 2 numbers on it. 25 -622 and in parentheses (700 x 25c)
what do these numbers mean and can anyone recommend a decent set of wheels. I dont want to be spending much money at all. Like around 350.

Thanks!!

p.s. i would like a wheel a bit thinner than the one i currently have.

· Registered
642 Posts
Depending on the rim interior, rims will accommodate a range of tire sizes.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Chances are that you can put 23mm tires on your rims, if you want a "thinner wheel". An Upgrade to a really nice tire can make a difference. You may want to check the RBR tire reviews.

I don't know anything about race specific wheels, someone else could chime in here, but $350 seems like a low price point for racing wheels. For a little over $400 you could get a pair of Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra hubs which is a good all around wheel. I however, would give your current wheels a chance with better tires.

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, i didnt know you could put diff size tires on same rim, that will save a lot of money,:D !! But if i did want to get a whole new Wheel, (rim and tire) i would need to get one with the same numbers mentioned above. Except if i wanted a thinner one. then the 25 would be more like 23 or somehting. And the tires i currently have are clincher btw. So if i just got a new tire, same rim, would i have to replace the inner tube too?

thanks for your help

· Registered
642 Posts
You can determine the width of your rim by looking up the tech specs on the manufacturers web site, by measuring the rim, or asking your LBS. Once you know the rim width, you can use the Sheldon Brown chart to determine what width tire you can put on that rim. I wouldn't go narrower than 23. Well, unless you tires have performance problems, I would wear the 25s' out first and replace them with 23.

Tubes will also work with a range of tire widths. if you have 25s', that tube will work with a 23.

Going to a narrower width 700mm rim will not be a problem. All you'll have to do is adjust your brakes to accommodate that rim. However, at that price point, you won't be getting better wheels, you'll be getting different wheels.

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sort of confused, could someone please explain what those numbers mean that i posted before. I think i know, but i just need some reeasurance.

this doesnt make any sense. it seems here http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product78.html that the rim is 19mm. which according to this chart http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html would NOT fit a 23. Can someone please help me out here. And please explain what all the numbers mean on the first page of the wheels.

Thank you for your help!!!

· Banned
3,262 Posts
Gregpape23 said:
I am sort of confused, could someone please explain what those numbers mean that i posted before. I think i know, but i just need some reeasurance.

this doesnt make any sense. it seems here http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product78.html that the rim is 19mm. which according to this chart http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html would NOT fit a 23. Can someone please help me out here. And please explain what all the numbers mean on the first page of the wheels.

Thank you for your help!!!
The interior rim width on a neuvation r28 sl2 is about 15mm. On the website it says 19mm also. Man I'm getting old. I could barely read those small measurements.

Anyway, 23c is fine on the neuvations. That seems to be the standard tire size these days for a road bike.

I'm going to 25's myself for a better ride...

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how am i supposed to know what the measurement is if the website says 1 thing but the actual size is different.?

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Confusing the numbers

Gregpape23 said:
So how am i supposed to know what the measurement is if the website says 1 thing but the actual size is different.?
The rim size is the distance between the flanges. The tire size is the outside width measurement when the tire is pumped up. The two are only vaguely related, in that you shouldn't put REAL wide tires on narrow rims or REAL narrow tires on wide rims. Neither of those is an issue for a 23 mm width tire on your rim.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Gregpape23 said:
For one, the manufacturer is confusing you. That listed 19 mm rim size is the outer rim width. Sheldon Brown's chart and other charts recommending a safe range of tire widths use the inner rim width—which you don't know unless you measure it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.