Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Felt Dispatch and have been running the SS side since I got it. I want to flip it and try fixed and want to know if it's any big deal to do it. Is there anything special I should know? If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't wrench on bikes. I have read Sheldon's site and understand how to get the chain tension correct, but is there anything else I need to be concerned with like torque on the rear nut, or using loctite or anything like that? I figure if I ever get a rear flat I will be removing the rear wheel on the road, so I might as well get used to it in my garage before that happens. I'd rather not take it to my LBS for something so simple.

Thanks in advance!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Not much to it. No locktight, I just tighten the bolts as tight as I can with my stubby 15mm wrench, and make sure you have the wheel centered between the chainstays. I also carry a sock or shop towel in my seatpack if I need to change on the road so I don't get my hands covered in dirty lube.

I sometimes flip on a ride. I'll go to a group ride and depending on the group (fast or slower) I'll choose my side. With the downhills around here I'll get dropped in a short minute if on the fixie with a fast group.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did it. No big deal, although I was a bit paranoid about getting the chain tension as tight as possible. Seems to be in the exact same spot with the same tension as it was on the SS side. I took it for a 5 minute ride around the neighborhood and did some figure 8's with it too to get used to not coasting through turns (really the only time I coast other than coming to a stop). It's a bit strange riding fixed, but I'm sure I will get used to it quickly and I'm looking foward to the new challenge.

·
hello
3,395 Posts
Since you didn't complain on your initial fixed ride you are most likely to get hooked riding fixed. :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
I complained like hell my first ride and swore I was going to flip that thing overa right quick and I still got hooked.

I love my fixie. I'm sure you will too.

By the way, what are you riding?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. As in my first post, it's a Felt Dispatch and I've had it about a month. First road bike I've been on in about 15 years. Been working at getting back in shape and putting about 20-30 miles a week (trying to stretch the rides out a little each week) in with the SS but I think I'm gonna like the fixie vibe even more. I've always been one to do things differently, especially if they posed a challenge, and my thinking was the same when I decided to get back into road bikes at age 40. Fixed seemed like alot of fun, challenging, different and most of all, a great workout, which is mostly why I'm riding again. My goal is to be able to do a century on it by next summer.:D

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
chain tension

Billy516 said:
Well, I did it. No big deal, although I was a bit paranoid about getting the chain tension as tight as possible. .
One small bit of advice: "as tight as possible" is not the right spec. You can have chain tension too high, causing binding that increases drag and wear. You want just enough tension to securely prevent the chain from derailling. If you have a nice straight chainline, that means a little bit of sag (1/4" or so) in the long run of the chain.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Bikeroader said:
Congratulations on buying a Felt Dispatch that worked out for you. I just bought the 09 model - described as an 'urban' type of road bike. I've described my problem in another post, but basically I'm getting clunking sounds on the freewheel side. No problems when using the fixed side. Taking it back to the shop AGAIN, after they replaced the freewheel sprocket/cog. It's my first road bike too, thought I'd try the single speed since the idea fascinated me. I'm rapidly losing interest. Leaving cycling for 15 years may not be such a bad idea!
Clunking freewheels are very common...It's not a problem with the bike....any cheap freewheel clunks..It doesn't affect the performance of the bike at all...if you want to avoid it, buy a White Industries freewheel( expensive but worth it)...

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Bikeroader said:
Well, that's my point. What is a cheap freewheel doing on a $1100-1300 road bike? They've now changed the entire real wheel too. The clunking has stopped at least, much like my desire to ride the thing. By the way, it wasn't just a clunking noise, it was causing vibrations on the frame. From what I've read aluminium frames aren't as forgiving when it comes to stress.
Wow. At first I thought you were just an unusual ray of sunshine. But now I think you're a troll. Either way, I doubt road cycling will miss you much if you decide to take another 15 years off.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Bikeroader said:
Well, that's my point. What is a cheap freewheel doing on a $1100-1300 road bike? They've now changed the entire real wheel too. The clunking has stopped at least, much like my desire to ride the thing. By the way, it wasn't just a clunking noise, it was causing vibrations on the frame. From what I've read aluminium frames aren't as forgiving when it comes to stress.

vibrations on the frame???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah..

Val_Garou said:
Wow. At first I thought you were just an unusual ray of sunshine. But now I think you're a troll. Either way, I doubt road cycling will miss you much if you decide to take another 15 years off.
Well glad to hear I was envisioned as a ray of sunshine, even for a brief moment. My view of you as a troll will pretty much remain constant.

It was wrong of me to disregard cycling altogether though. Just because I've had problems with the Felt doesn't mean they are all bad. It was mostly said out of anger at having high hopes of finally having a stream-lined bike for once.. I'll get over it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FatTireFred said:
vibrations on the frame???
When the knocking noise occured I could feel it through the handlebars as I rode. The mechanic has now replaced the back wheel, said it must have been a bad hub. It really is an awesome ride now.. it was just disconcerting thinking I had been sold a lemon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.