Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello; I didn't see this topic under search so here goes...
I am looking to buy a hybrid bike in the $500 TO $600.00 range.

Hybrid bikes are either 'comfrort' bikes -
road bikes with flatbars, or Mt. Bikes in an upright position.
I really liked the steel frame on the Coda Jamis, but it's really a road bike.

Comments on Trek, Giant. Sedona, Navigator, Cypress, 7300 (Trek) etc??
Somebody Puuulleezzee make up my mind. Thanks... David :idea:

·
What the Hell is going on
5,891 Posts
Check out a Diamondback Insight. Looks like a cyclocross bike. It has 700c wheels and the frame has enough tire clearance for 38mm tires.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Typically, hybrids in this price range come equipped with a suspension fork and sprung seatpost. For one, this makes the bike more complex and heavier than it needs to be. Second, suspension really isn't needed since the wider tires provide enough cushion. And finally, the components will be downgraded to make up for the higher fork cost. In essence, if your riding terrain requires suspension then get a dedicated MTB!

With this in mind, I'm really partial to the Dew hybrid series from Kona Bicycles. Great values and 5 different models from $400 - $900 (one does have suspension if you must have it!).

Shown below is the Dew Plus. For $500 you'll get a light bike with a wide gearing range, disc brakes and solid components. Nice intermediate tire width as well. Finally, comes in 8 frames sizes, so getting a perfect fit should be no problem! :thumbsup:

https://www.konaworld.com/08_dewplus_w.htm

Hope this helps,

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks David; I noticed that after I posted, I will check out that site and THANKS
Pau; and jaeP for your thoughts. MUCH appreciated. David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.