Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks - just picked up my first roadbike since I was the ripe old age of 17. Things have clearly changed quite a bit. Have done a fair amount of MT Biking, but not sure how much credit that gets me. Question is, I did 32 miles yesterday at an average speed of 16mph with a total ascent of 2,700 feet and an average HR of 148. What does that all mean in terms of my potential as a roadie? I'm trying to figure out if I should join up with a local riding club and I'm not sure what group / rides I should join. Do these stats imply that I'll get dropped by the tricycle riders by mile 4??? :confused:

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place...

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Doesn't mean much one way or the other about your potential. Ignore "credit" and "potential," join a club, go ride with people who ride fast. Either they will drop you, or you will drop them. Train more, and you'll either drop them harder or they'll drop you less.

Then you can enter some races, and get dropped really hard, or you'll get to practice your finish-line salute.

It's all good fun. The painful kind.

Welcome back.

·
Registered
595 Posts
shakawarspite said:
Hey folks - just picked up my first roadbike since I was the ripe old age of 17. Things have clearly changed quite a bit. Have done a fair amount of MT Biking, but not sure how much credit that gets me. Question is, I did 32 miles yesterday at an average speed of 16mph with a total ascent of 2,700 feet and an average HR of 148. What does that all mean in terms of my potential as a roadie? I'm trying to figure out if I should join up with a local riding club and I'm not sure what group / rides I should join. Do these stats imply that I'll get dropped by the tricycle riders by mile 4??? :confused:

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place...
less worry, more riding.

i'd encourage you to join up with a group ride that doesn't drop people. sure, you could go to your local bike club and join the hammerfest. chances are, no one will talk to you and you'll be riding alone pretty quickly.

to me, it's more about the fun of meeting people to ride with and less about becoming some "fast" cyclist. it's all relative, i think. if you enjoy riding until your heart wants to burst out in a paceline with no conversation, go for it. but i think your time is better spent riding comfortably with good people and good conversation. ymmv

the best thing you could do is chunk the computer and just ride. it's infinitely more enjoyable...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do a 10 mile or 20K time trial and report back with your average speed and HR. Your 32 mile ride doesn't provide any basis for an evaluation since there's probably starts and stops and it's not testing your absolute best effort.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It doesn't really mean anything.Unless,of course,your max HR is 150 then that would mean either you're really good at suffering or you're a lost cause.:p

Seriously,just ride and enjoy it.Like Argentius said,ride with the local club.One of two things will happen,you'll get dropped or you won't.Either way it's fun.

·
Registered
484 Posts
There's too many variables to compare your heart rate and speed. Things like hills, and the wind are gooing to change it. Do what everyone else is suggesting and find a group to ride with. That'll let you know pretty quick whawt your fitness level is.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I believe there is a huge discrepancy between pro racer and "fun and fitness". I think by his original post he wants to be fast and wants to hang with a fast group. Otherwise he would not be so focused on performance statistics and being part of a group. There are a myriad of levels in between, but I think "competitive" vs "fitness" is what John is trying to say.

You will get different varieties of hammerfests, depending on where you live. My suggestion to you is to find a larger ride, as those are the ones that most often break into the component groups... the hammerheads, the wanna bes, down those that just coast and chat the whole way. Go to that several times and see where you fit. You will get a pretty good understanding of where you fit. Once you find that, train and ride with faster people... if you want to get faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.