Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlefolk;

This most likely falls into the type of discussion in which one calculates how much time is saved by switching to a carbon frame... anyway...

I sadly, only ride my bike about once a week. Since the derailleur is spring-actuated -- at least going in one direction -- is there an optimal gear to leave the bike in for storage that does minimal stress to the spring on the derailleur?

Or is this a totally irrelevant concern?

Now, an expansion of this question goes to winter storage, for what may be irrlevant for a week's layoff may NOT be irrelevant to a three-four month layoff.

Thx!

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
I leave mine in the gear I want to start off in the next time I ride it. Basically, it doesn't matter. Do whatever suits your needs.
 

·
Still On Steel
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Cadent said:
Or is this a totally irrelevant concern?
^^^ This.

The older of my two bikes was built up in early 1993 and has spent most winters of its life leaning against the wall in the laundry room, untouched for months. I never gave a thought to what gear I left it in.

I rode the bike three times in the last week. It still shifts like it did when it was new.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
Add me to those leaving it in the gear combo I'll start out in next time out.

Since I tear my bikes down, clean, lube and rebuild them annually, once that's completed I'll either reinstall the 'old' chain (if there's any life left) and shift to small/ small (yes, I cross chain ALL winter!! :eek:) or if installing new, just wait till spring.

Funny reading your post, because IIRC they used to recommend storing (even short term) with chain in small/ small back in the 60's (I think) to minimize cable stretch.
 

·
J24
Joined
·
434 Posts
PJ352 said:
Add me to those leaving it in the gear combo I'll start out in next time out.

Funny reading your post, because IIRC they used to recommend storing (even short term) with chain in small/ small back in the 60's (I think) to minimize cable stretch.
Actually it was to lessen tension on the spring that returns the derailleurs to their lowest position/cog/chainring
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
J24 said:
Actually it was to lessen tension on the spring that returns the derailleurs to their lowest position/cog/chainring
Thanks. I knew someone with a memory (and possibly older than I) would be able to clarify that. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
small/small.
Only because I have to take my rear wheel off to get the bike in the car.
Small rear gear is the easiest gear to put the wheel back on.

I really don't think it matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
PJ...you're going to have post a newbie acronym primer...as much as I enjoy and learn from your voluminous velo-smarts, I find myself scratching my head from time to time as to what the heck one of your 'nyms means. I've been fairly successful (over the course of an hour or two, on occasion) deciphering until now. IIRC??? Infrared Insect Remote Control? Inner Illinois Regional Cooperative?
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
bbronov said:
PJ...you're going to have post a newbie acronym primer...as much as I enjoy and learn from your voluminous velo-smarts, I find myself scratching my head from time to time as to what the heck one of your 'nyms means. I've been fairly successful (over the course of an hour or two, on occasion) deciphering until now. IIRC??? Infrared Insect Remote Control? Inner Illinois Regional Cooperative?
LOL. Sorry, this should help:
http://www.internetslang.com/

IIRC = If I recall (or remember) correctly.
 

·
J24
Joined
·
434 Posts
PJ352 said:
Thanks. I knew someone ...............(and possibly older than I)
Hey now,

Anyway I don't know if doing that makes the springs last longer or not, since more often than not I forgot to shift to small-small when I got off of the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,540 Posts
And wrong

J24 said:
Actually it was to lessen tension on the spring that returns the derailleurs to their lowest position/cog/chainring
That was the "logic" but it was completely wrong. Springs do not "wear out" sitting in a static position. Full stop. There is no reason whatsoever to "relieve spring tension" on a derailleur in storage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Maybe a dumb question at this point, but....

Would there be any benefit to the small/small for minimizing cable stretch? I know it was mentioned above, but I don't think there were details... The reason quickly switched back to the spring tension thing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,540 Posts
No

Nick09 said:
Would there be any benefit to the small/small for minimizing cable stretch? I know it was mentioned above, but I don't think there were details.
No. Your cables are not stretching, they are conforming to the bends they have to go through and the casings are settling into their various end points. This is a process that takes a short time and then stops. The amount of tension from deralleur springs does not drive this process.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
Nick09 said:
Maybe a dumb question at this point, but....

Would there be any benefit to the small/small for minimizing cable stretch? I know it was mentioned above, but I don't think there were details... The reason quickly switched back to the spring tension thing...
I probably caused some of your confusion, because earlier I was recalling being told something about cable stretch relating to my mid 60's Schwinn.

The state of the art has advanced, so cables now are 'pre-stretched' (or so the marketers say), so there's no need to fret over what gear combo you leave the bike in. On new set ups cables do tend to settle in, thus the need for small adjustments to drivetrains after 100-200 miles.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
Doesn't matter.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top